Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pond Life  (Read 10946 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Pond Life
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:24:38 am »

From a couple of years ago on a very calm, but brightly flat lit day on the Isle of Harris.  :)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Pond Life
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:35:54 am »

Isle of Harris? Never heard. But... if you gave me the image's GPS coordinates, I'd be on the first flight, then looking for your tripod holes  ;)

All joking aside (and you might not get it, if you haven't followed latest threads here - and no, no lousy excuse, like you were busy actually practicing photography, would work if you haven't)... where was I? Ah, yes... all joking aside, that is a fine, almost abstract photo. I can imagine it printed really big, 2 meters long, on a huge wall of a modern apartment. Would have made Jackson Pollock proud, I think.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:57:32 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

churly

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 11:56:13 am »

Wonderful image Dave.  It says much more to me than many of the landscapes we see here.  But definitely not Jackson Polluck Slobodan.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:33:29 pm by churly »
Chuck Hurich

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

Yes, Slobodan nailed it.
I also could imagine this as wallpaper. Very lively.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:38:40 pm »

Yes, Slobodan nailed it.
I also could imagine this as wallpaper. Very lively.
+1, yep - a fantastic photo!

Arlen

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:31:44 pm »

I like this one a lot. As others have said, it would be wonderful to see it printed large.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:48:06 pm »

Isle of Harris? Never heard. But... if you gave me the image's GPS coordinates, I'd be on the first flight, then looking for your tripod holes  ;)

All joking aside (and you might not get it, if you haven't followed latest threads here - and no, no lousy excuse, like you were busy actually practicing photography, would work if you haven't)... where was I? Ah, yes... all joking aside, that is a fine, almost abstract photo. I can imagine it printed really big, 2 meters long, on a huge wall of a modern apartment. Would have made Jackson Pollock proud, I think.

Thanks everyone  :) And no I haven't been spending much time here on Lula recently, because as you have rightly guessed Slobodan, I have been out with my camera pretty much every day that I can since just before Christmas, capturing the unusually snowy winter scenes that have been taking place here on the IoS. This is my fourth year living on the island and in that time I have learnt why we have palm trees growing in our front garden, as it is due to the island being surrounded by the relatively warm waters coming up to us in the Gulf Stream, so we just don't get snow down to ground level that often, but this year we've had a bit of a bonanza of the stuff and it has been great photographically.

Now please forgive me for a moment as I get a just little bit arty farty about this image, which I have used many times as an example to my long suffering workshop people to describe what the meaning of 'Gesture' is within photography, as I think this image contains lots of gesture, whereby some of the weeds look as if they are dancing together, some look as if they are about to kiss and others are chatting in a group, as well as a whole host of other human like activities - they are just plants in a pond and we can all see they are just plants in a pond, but yet they also seem to have something distinctly human about what they are doing, even though they are in actual fact doing nothing at all. So for any photographers struggling with the question or the concept of what 'Gesture' in photography actually means, then just look at this image, because to my eyes at least, it seems chock full of gesture and is what I was trying to capture when I took the shot.

OK, arty farty blatherings over, so thanks again everyone for your wonderful comments and also for taking the time to listen to my barely coherent ramblings about the artsy fartsy side of photography ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:22:10 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 06:54:16 pm »

Lovely
As Eric already said , my first impression was that it would make for a wonderful Wallpaper pattern!
David

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 04:42:39 am »

Truly hieroglyphic.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:37 am »

I love the images that invite to an analytical inspection.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 08:55:06 am »

Lots to see, closely inspect and/or wonder about, attribute human behaviour to, or just plain enjoy,  now that's a good landscape picture.

You nailed it Dave, ramblings and all  ;)

Best Regards, Sander

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:48 pm »

I am a fan of this type of photography.  The abstract landscapes are sometimes a special eye, which leads me to believe a true artist of this nature sees things that others cannot see or envision.  Often I "discover" these.  When I try to create them I'm often baffled.  This is a gallery piece really.  It's art at its finest imho.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Michael West

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:03 pm »

Lovely and  most fascinating image! Also Inspiring!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »

...  This is a gallery piece really.  It's art at its finest imho.

Thank you so very much, I feel truly humbled.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up