Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D610 and Live View Anomaly  (Read 3578 times)

Dave Ellis

Nikon D610 and Live View Anomaly
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:03:00 am »

I bought a D610 about 4 months ago but only recently tried using it in Live View under low light conditions (early morning seascape). I was aware that it did not have exposure simulation but I was surprised to find that the screen was barely visible when I switched to LV (when in Aperture Priority mode). It was useless for manual focusing. What I have since discovered is that this situation is avoided if I change to Auto mode before selecting LV. Then the screen is much brighter in low light conditions and I can then switch back to Aperture priority without the brightness changing.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience ? As far as I know, I have the latest firmware. Also please note that this has nothing to do with the screen brightness adjustment in the menu system.

Dave

dwswager

Re: Nikon D610 and Live View Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:36:41 pm »

I bought a D610 about 4 months ago but only recently tried using it in Live View under low light conditions (early morning seascape). I was aware that it did not have exposure simulation but I was surprised to find that the screen was barely visible when I switched to LV (when in Aperture Priority mode). It was useless for manual focusing. What I have since discovered is that this situation is avoided if I change to Auto mode before selecting LV. Then the screen is much brighter in low light conditions and I can then switch back to Aperture priority without the brightness changing.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience ? As far as I know, I have the latest firmware. Also please note that this has nothing to do with the screen brightness adjustment in the menu system.

Dave

I have a D7100 and D810 and they both operate a little different from each other so I'm sure the D610 has some difference too. 

First, I assume you have the latest firmware C:1.01 loaded.

As I understand it though, in AUTO mode, the monitor automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on the ambient light sensor in the camera.  When not in AUTO, you can adjust the brightness of the screen using ?/(KEY) [WB] button while pushing up or dn on the multi-selector.  Like you said, the quirk is that when switching from Auto to A doesn't change the brightness. 

Dave Ellis

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:59:21 pm »

Thanks for your reply but the Auto mode I was referring to is the Auto shooting mode (set by the rotary dial), not the Auto monitor brightness mode (set in the menu).

Dave

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:00:48 pm »

Thanks for your reply but the Auto mode I was referring to is the Auto shooting mode (set by the rotary dial), not the Auto monitor brightness mode (set in the menu).

Dave

Sorry, without being able to put my hands on that particular body, hard to help.  It is why it frustrates me so that nobody has a way to save the complete state of the camera to a custom menu item.  The D610 at lease has the U1/U2 setting that is almost kinda like that, but not complete and not enough of them.  These boogers are so complex with so many different shooting and custom setting options that once set up for a particular shooting type, it would be nice to have an easy way to get back there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up