Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D self timer . . .  (Read 4021 times)

dabreeze

5D self timer . . .
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:52:24 pm »

anybody else out there dismayed that the new 5D doesn't allow you to use a longer timer with MLU? Two seconds is just too short for work with my 70-200, especially with the center column up at all.

yes, i realize that center post extended isn't the best technique but sometimes perspectives, angles, and less-than-ideal camera platforms depend on it; i never had a problem with the 10 sec timer on the 1Ds--the lens would always settle down well within the longer period.

what really gets me is there's a 10 sec. timer for snapping self-portraits but it appears one can't use it with mirror lock-up. all it would take would be a simple software upgrade?! DAMN!!

I guess there's a cable release in my future, but it seems a total hassle and slow down of workflow in the field.

jani

• Øyet
5D self timer . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 12:29:24 pm »

anybody else out there dismayed that the new 5D doesn't allow you to use a longer timer with MLU?
The same feature is present with the 20D, too.

Two seconds is just too short for work with my 70-200, especially with the center column up at all.
Ouch.

I guess there's a cable release in my future, but it seems a total hassle and slow down of workflow in the field.
Yes, this is the way to go.

And yes, it slows down your workflow a bit, at the point where you attach the release.

But after a while, you'll get used to it, and it doesn't take much extra time to attach the TC-80N3 (highly recommended) while you're in the process of adjusting your tripod. The RRS L plate may get slightly in your way the first few times, though, and you'll need to find a way to carry the release while you're repositioning your camera and tripod. It's still not a big deal to me.

Have I missed shots because of it? Yes.

Have I captured shots that I'd otherwise miss? Yes!
Jan

dabreeze

5D self timer . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:43:33 pm »

well, thanks for the co-miseration, jan!

but it still seems so arbitrary and just plain stupid to have a longer timer within the very 5D software for self-portraits yet not make it available for MLU, especially when the problem i'm relating must resonate with hundreds of users!

spell it A-G-R-A-V-A-T-I-O-N, i guess . . .

or more correctly, C-A-B-L-E  R-E-L-E-A-S-E, under the sub-heading just plain stupid unnecessary C-O-S-T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: thanks for the recommend on the cable release.

Andrew Larkin

5D self timer . . .
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 04:07:35 pm »

Thinking outside of the square, the solution may lie in a completely different direction.

The problem that you are trying to solve is that when the tripod is fully extended, it is taking more than 2 seconds for vibrations to settle.

What is the primary source of the vibration?  Is it the mirror locking up or is it the operator touching the camera?

If it is the mirror lock up that is causing the vibration, then a cable release isn't going to solve the problem!

However, some kind of vibration dampening device attached to the tripod head may offer a solution.

If you visit an archery supply store, you should find a range of vibration/shock suppressors (aka "stabiliser") that are designed to screw into accessory sockets on the front of many bows.  The one I have on one of my bows is a sealed cylinder filled with oil with a weight in it.  Attaching such a device to the column/head of the tripod could provide the additional dampening you need.

Andrew

jani

• Øyet
5D self timer . . .
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 04:15:11 pm »

If it is the mirror lock up that is causing the vibration, then a cable release isn't going to solve the problem!
Yes, it will, because with a cable release, you can lock the mirror, wait for as long as you wish, and then release the shutter.

But I like your ideas, definitely worth some testing.
Jan

oldcsar

5D self timer . . .
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 11:16:46 pm »

The 20D doesn't have ten second MLU?

The irony is that my original Rebel with hacked firmware has multiple selections for MLU:

1.5 seconds, 3 seconds, 4.5 seconds, 6 seconds, 7.5 seconds, and 10 seconds.
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

francois

5D self timer . . .
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 05:38:49 am »

The 20D doesn't have ten second MLU?

The irony is that my original Rebel with hacked firmware has multiple selections for MLU:

1.5 seconds, 3 seconds, 4.5 seconds, 6 seconds, 7.5 seconds, and 10 seconds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
MLU is not a timer and unless I'm wrong I doubt (memory fade effect   ) that the 20D has a function where the MLU is coupled wih the timer.
Francois

jani

• Øyet
5D self timer . . .
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 06:23:16 am »

MLU is not a timer and unless I'm wrong I doubt (memory fade effect   ) that the 20D has a function where the MLU is coupled wih the timer.
That function is called "self timer".

If mirror lockup is enabled, and you use the self timer, the timer is set to two seconds.

If mirror lockup isn't enabled, and you use the self timer, the timer is set to ten seconds.

I sometimes use this just to get a shorter time between button press and exposure.
Jan

francois

5D self timer . . .
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 07:00:11 am »

That function is called "self timer".

If mirror lockup is enabled, and you use the self timer, the timer is set to two seconds.

If mirror lockup isn't enabled, and you use the self timer, the timer is set to ten seconds.

I sometimes use this just to get a shorter time between button press and exposure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I stand corrected!
Thank you for the information Jani.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up