Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon ILC models: spec weirdness or pixel count, video  (Read 982 times)

BJL

New Canon ILC models: spec weirdness or pixel count, video
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:39 pm »

There are a few features comparisons with the newest Canon models that few would have predicted a year or two ago:

- The new, $3700-3,900 5DS and 5DR models have video specs that are in some ways inferior to one medium format camera (the Pentax 645Z), and to
a far less expensive new model from rather video-phobic Olympus (the EM5 Mk II).

- All three new lower end APS-C models, two Rebels and the mirror-less M3, have a higher 24MP count pixel than any of the higher level Canon DSLRs, other than the above two "special use" models.

Not that I am criticizing; it is just interesting to see how different specs take priority when designing for different target uses and customers.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: New Canon ILC models: spec weirdness or pixel count, video
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:13:30 pm »

There are a few features comparisons with the newest Canon models that few would have predicted a year or two ago:

- The new, $3700-3,900 5DS and 5DR models have video specs that are in some ways inferior to one medium format camera (the Pentax 645Z), and to
a far less expensive new model from rather video-phobic Olympus (the EM5 Mk II).

- All three new lower end APS-C models, two Rebels and the mirror-less M3, have a higher 24MP count pixel than any of the higher level Canon DSLRs, other than the above two "special use" models.

Not that I am criticizing; it is just interesting to see how different specs take priority when designing for different target uses and customers.

It's all about market segmentation. Canon have a video line so they want to force pros to buy two cameras instead of one. Or three, one for sports, one for studio, one for video. And they will sell you stabilised slow lenses for video, unstabilised fast lenses for stills, same game.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:48:34 pm »

Trying to cut the pie into 100 pieces and not realising that others (Sony) serve bigger, cheaper and tastier goods.  8)

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »

It's all about market segmentation. Canon have a video line so they want to force pros to buy two cameras instead of one. Or three, one for sports, one for studio, one for video. And they will sell you stabilised slow lenses for video, unstabilised fast lenses for stills, same game.

Edmund

>:( Canon PR admitting to segmentation tactics...

"A Canon representative told DP Review that the ISO cap is completely "arbitrary".

In a similar vein, Canon has probably restricted the two new cameras to 5 fps continuous (the Mark III can do 6 fps)—and for some reason, the new cameras can't do uncompressed HDMI output, while the Mark III can. These differences might seem fairly insignificant, but if you look at the entire Canon DSLR lineup, there's an awful lot of feature fragmentation. That's great from a business perspective (product segmentation increases sales), but not so good for consumers, who end up having to buy more than one camera to fulfill all their needs."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/canon-reclaims-resolution-crown-with-50-megapixel-5ds-and-5ds-r/
Pages: [1]   Go Up