Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: manual crank laminator  (Read 14456 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: manual crank laminator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:26 pm »

The single feed roll spindle is all most of us who just want to mount prints would ever use.  All the fancy laminators one sees with 4 spindles are for encapsulating banners of girls in their underwear down at the mall and other boring stuff.  Would be nice if it had tensioning on that roller, I don't think it does.  As the Zenith videos show it's also possible to simply let the adhesive roll bounce up and down on the outfeeding substrate, although a fresh, 200 foot roll of adhesive might a little too heavy for that.

In terms of actual production the only thing one might find slightly lacking is a heat-assist top roller for those icy winter days and for theoretically improving the quality of the adhesion on any day.  But in truth a hair dryer works pretty well too if one simply insists on heat assist.

Would not be too hard to cobble together a roll feed with about $20 of Home Depot technology.  I'm thinking plastic roll end shipping supports might supply exactly the right amount of tensioning.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 11:34:29 pm »

That Italian one takes 2.5cm,

The one out of Tustin CA takes 1.5inches media, with 4.2" roller.
Also comes in wooden case...Woopi! :-)
2 sold in the last 24hours.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

disneytoy

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 06:44:53 am »

I'm about to order (China via Tyustin) a 39" 1m laminator. It has the smaller size roller. I really only need to mount photos (example 35x24") on Sintra. Are these smaller rollers really not suitable? I think I need the double release filn. TRhe single sided seems to have too much waste if you aren't using the rolls whole width. AM I correctr, the doupole release I cancut say a 24x36" from a 42" roll and that scrap could be saved for future smaller prints?

Is that pissible with the single release?

Garnick

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 03:32:00 pm »

hehe...I too have space issues:-)

The one I was looking at the dia is 4.2" with silicone not rubber, claiming it is softer and won't harden.

Silicone rollers are absolutely essential!  The rubber rollers are a pain, since the adhesive residue will stick to them very easily.  You can get it off, but it is not a fun task at all.  My first cold mount laminator(manual crank) had the rubber rollers, but the newer one(motor driven) has the silicone rollers, and there's a huge difference in the ease of operation, in every way.

Gary    
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:35:33 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 06:13:37 pm »

From another ebay ad:

A better, safer laminating experience
Widely applied to the modern nuptial dresses, the artistic photography,
the computer spurt drawings, the calligraphy and paintings, the playbills,
the advertising pictures, the effect charts, and the document...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 06:31:31 pm »

There is one on Ebay China import with silicone roller. its the green one I think. Tri8 Pro? maybe the model name. It is for a 51" inch, which is what I'm thinking of getting.

disneytoy

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 09:04:34 pm »

Trans8 and Trans8 Pro are all from China.

disneytoy

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 04:13:37 am »

Just ordered a 39" 2.5" roller one. rubber rollers. Hope it works.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 09:47:31 am »

The single feed roll spindle is all most of us who just want to mount prints would ever use.

Would not be too hard to cobble together a roll feed with about $20 of Home Depot technology.  I'm thinking plastic roll end shipping supports might supply exactly the right amount of tensioning.

Some used wide format printer spindles can be handy too. Like the Epson 9000 spindles I used for this DIY mounting film feeder. I made a dual spindle support so the laminator can be used in either direction, the laminator gets in between two tables when I roll the laminator table against another table.

Silicon wax or spray on non-silicon rollers is a remedy too on glue transfer.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 12:37:53 pm »

Great idea Ernst.

If you have the space, why not get a wider than 48"? That way you can feed a parent sheet without having to cut down so many times, and mount larger, or gang mount then cut?
I plan on getting the 51" Trans8 Pro. If I go do it myself.

I think they are over priced for what they are. Its not like they are some company that has been making laminating machine for the past 20-50 years, and have improved their product over the years from feedback and such. Someone you can call and say, "hey the rubber cracked!" and they send you a new part to replace. More likely a company that is fit to make the parts and assemble, fabricate, and ready to spit out a bunch of these.

The Trans8 is silicon, so it is the better material, but close to $600 is a bit more than I expected.
I think $300-400 would be fine. Lot of these companies see a gap in product penetration to consumers, and they mark up the items way up. Since a brand name one is so much more expensive. These can't cost more than $100 to put together. Look at the price of the de-curling rollers, they are a joke(almost the price of these machines), but there are those that have disposable money and just know the best marketed item is the best product, so they buy it and swear by it. Verses someone making something simple to work.

I pay $25-30 for material and labor to have my 24x36" prints mounted on 3/16" black Gator or sitreen(?).  I might have to buy the material in bulk to get better pricing on material, which may sit for a while and take up some space. So $600 plus $500 on an unknown amount bulk order(I don't know where to source the least priced Gator with shipping to west coast), and then do I get Gator with adhesive already on one side? or get the slip sheets of adhesive? So after 20-30 posters I think it might start to pay off? Learning curve errors, etc.   The biggest issue for me is working space. Sure these are rather small, but the tables you need in front and/or back working solo maybe a large footprint of space. I have it, but thinking the minimal...maybe a couple fold-able tables to prop up when in use, etc.  Let us know how you like yours when you setup and run!

disneytoy

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »

The Trans8 39" I just ordered says rubber roller not silicone. I'm not high volume so I may just always use a barrier paper to protect the rollers.

I negotiated with the Chinese seller and got mine for $160 shipped. Don't have my adhesive yet, still researching. I read thin is better for glossy, less orange peel.

These are such a simple machine, I cross my fingers they work well enough.

i'd love to try some facemounting. That would be cool.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 02:51:42 pm »

Great idea Ernst.

If you have the space, why not get a wider than 48"? That way you can feed a parent sheet without having to cut down so many times, and mount larger, or gang mount then cut?
I plan on getting the 51" Trans8 Pro. If I go do it myself.

Rollers are 51" wide on my laminator. I can do the 48"-49" sheet sizes width in one go after another and cut the necessary pieces later. Bought the laminator unused but secondhand for less than $ 280 excl VAT. Try to keep the rollers in perfect condition but even when they go it has not been a bad purchase.

alain

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 04:48:45 pm »

The thicker KKDV version gives a high tack on any substrate and paper. Even some siliconised papers are hard to pull off. The thicker version is more expensive though and for a smooth gloss paper not recommended, high gloss asks for smooth mounting substrates and a thin even adhesive layer.

Hi

I ordered some smaller KKDV rolls from Zenith Art and it was a nice experience.  Now comes the difficult part : practice.

alain

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 08:11:34 am »

The thicker KKDV version gives a high tack on any substrate and paper. Even some siliconised papers are hard to pull off. The thicker version is more expensive though and for a smooth gloss paper not recommended, high gloss asks for smooth mounting substrates and a thin even adhesive layer.

Hi Ernst

Is the KKD (standard) easier to use when using foamboard with about A3 prints as the KKDV?
Will mostly be harman Gloss, aka a 300gr baryta paper.

Alain

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 03:06:06 am »

Hi Ernst

Is the KKD (standard) easier to use when using foamboard with about A3 prints as the KKDV?
Will mostly be harman Gloss, aka a 300gr baryta paper.

Alain

Alain,

No foamboard here, so no experience. DiBond, polystyrene, museumboard, are the substrates I use and I do not see much difference between the two Zenith materials applied to them. Harman Gloss Alpha Cellulose + smaller size prints can cope with the thinner two sided KKD.

March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up