Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus E-M5 II Image Samples for Multishot (Pixel Shift)  (Read 62152 times)

Telecaster

Re: Olympus E-M5 II Image Samples for Multishot (Pixel Shift)
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2015, 04:09:31 pm »

The broad long-term trend in serious photography is towards ever smaller imager sizes. Julia Margaret Cameron, for example, used 12x10" & 15x12" wet collodion plates. Later we got 8x10", 5x7" & 4x5" sheet film. Then 120/220 & 127 roll film. Then the 35mm miniature format, reborn electronically as "full frame" (bit of a self-esteem issue there IMO). Medium format seems now to be leaning in the 44x33mm direction rather than ~57x43mm. The vast majority of D-SLRs along with (many if not) most mirrorless cameras use ~15x23mm "APS-C" sensors. 4/3rds and 1" (12.8x9.6mm) sensors perform plenty well enough for enthusiast & pro use. So it goes.

-Dave-

BJL

The broad long-term trend in serious photography is towards ever smaller imager sizes. ... Medium format seems now to be leaning in the 44x33mm direction rather than ~57x43mm.
No dispute that the century-long trend of the "central tendency" is to downsizing, as resolution and sensitivity improve, but the upper levels can have their own trends, and one major factor there seems to be the standardization, already in the film era, on two dominant formats for high quality autofocus lens systems: 36x24mm ("miniature format" as you charmingly put it) and 56x42.5mm ("645 medium format"). 

So far, the trend I see at the higher levels of price and quality is for camera systems and sensor development to gravitate towards those two "legacy" formats, perhaps partly for the sake of getting the most out of substantial investments and "sunk capital" in lens systems and designs.  So I do not see 44x33 (or Leica's 45x30) displacing 645, even if they continue to coexist with it.  Maybe the force of backward compatibility will fade with time, but if so, it is very slow in coming.

AlterEgo

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 06:08:52 pm »

Medium format seems now to be leaning
MF will be leaning towards what CMOS sensor Sony Semi will produce, that's it...

capital

• Website
Adobe Converter 8.8 DNG Support
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »

Just an FYI: Adobe DNG Converter Version 8.8 Supports conversion of the Olympus Multishot High Resolution .ORF files.

capital

• Website
Pentax-Ricoh now has Multishot (Pixel Shift)
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:53 am »

Pentax's new K3 II has multi shot, they use 4 shots to create full color 24 MP raw files

Preview found here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-ii/pentax-k3-iiA.HTM

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 04:47:13 am »

I compiled both cameras multishot differences in a table:

I wonder why the Olympus guys didn't implement the Foveon-like multishot mode found in the Pentax in addition to their 8-shot. They have the technology and the approach is much simpler than the 8-shot multishot.

Regards

capital

• Website
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2015, 03:39:05 pm »

Things get officially ridiculous for the Sigma Foveon proprietary full color raw format, as the new Pentax K3II shoots the full color raw files to DNG, in camera.

Imaging resource has posted their standard test shots, with DNG samples in the pixel shift mode included.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-ii/pentax-k3-iiA7.HTM

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2015, 10:54:26 pm »

Things get officially ridiculous for the Sigma Foveon proprietary full color raw format, as the new Pentax K3II shoots the full color raw files to DNG, in camera.

Imaging resource has posted their standard test shots, with DNG samples in the pixel shift mode included.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-ii/pentax-k3-iiA7.HTM

I'm not sure Sigma can generate a Raw which is "really" raw in DNG format, ie if the variables for adjustment can be reduced to those in a Bayer raw.
The underlying physics are simply not the same, and image recovery complex.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:55:12 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

capital

• Website
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2015, 01:12:43 am »

Hi Edmund, I might not be following what you are saying, but my thought is the 3 foveon channels could be stored in a similar fashion that Pentax does. The DNG for the x3f file could still need special handling, but why has Sigma been so quiet about their raw spec, they mishandled the raw data from the Quattro when it came out, and they still have some areas that need improvement, innovation on SPP has ground to a halt recently.

I am actually interested to know how short a time Pentax's 4 shots need, and what kind of artifacts are generated in moving objects. Unfortunately the imaging resource review lacks these basic details, and at present no manual is available to download.

I was able to rent the OMDEM5II and use it in the field, I was not really able to make good use of the HR mode simply because things in compositions tended to move more than expected, even with something of a 1/200th of a second, the artifacts rob the resolution quite a bit in foliage and branches. Even wind buffeting the tripod was problematic at times, or required extra waiting intervals for longer wind lulls. Substituting in lower resolution components, there is a mismatch in detail transitions and noise.

capital

• Website
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:15 pm »

Hmm, sounds like from early adopters of the K3II are saying the pixel-shifted DNG files do not open as full color raws under Lightroom. Instead Lightroom takes the first out of the four raw layers as the source. No holy grail, yet.

Telecaster

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2015, 02:03:50 pm »

Adobe may have a thing about non-interpolated color. Can ACR process RAW data from any camera such that each four-photosite Bayer array results in one full-color pixel? Not that I'm aware of.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up