Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus E-M5 II Image Samples for Multishot (Pixel Shift)  (Read 62194 times)

BobDavid

Re: Olympus E-M5 II Image Samples for Multishot (Pixel Shift)
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 09:40:14 pm »

I used Hasselblad multishot cameras for fine art repro and table top photography. With the Blad and Sinar multishot setups, the camera must be tethered to a computer. Depending on the setup, it sometimes takes around a minute to capture all of the images.

Multishot files have a few notable advantages: no Bayer pattern interpolation, better micro-contrast, and more accurate color rendering.

Multishot is not just about resolution. Heck, I wish the new Oly would have a feature allowing a 4-shot mode for 16mp files.

rdonson

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 01:47:51 pm »

Here's something interesting that we might all be able to test out....

http://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/
Regards,
Ron

AlterEgo

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 07:35:32 pm »

Here's something interesting that we might all be able to test out....

http://petapixel.com/2015/02/21/a-practical-guide-to-creating-superresolution-photos-with-photoshop/

or you can just use a specialized software like photoacute ( http://www.photoacute.com/ ) to save time & effort instead of DIY

rdonson

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:04 am »

or you can just use a specialized software like photoacute ( http://www.photoacute.com/ ) to save time & effort instead of DIY

The list of camera/lens profiles is somewhat limiting but if your combinations are there its worth a try.
Regards,
Ron

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »

Here is an attempt using PhotoAcute3 with my 16 MP Fuji X-T1 to emulate the 40 MP Olympus output from the E-M5 II.  Eight shots , fired in a high speed continuous mode burst using the 18-55 kit lens at 55mm, ISO 2000.  Images imported into PhotoAcute, processed for "Super Resolution", exported as a 64 MP DNG file to LR and then downsized to a 40 MP JPG to Flickr.

40 MP Original file can be downloaded here.

I think that the Olympus can produce a sharper image with fewer artifacts and certainly much quicker, but PhotoAcute can also produce files suitable for large prints if needed.

rdonson

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »

Thanks, Scho.  I tried to download the 40 MP file but Flickr said its private.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:46:37 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 01:03:46 pm »

Sorry, I think that it is fixed and now designated "public" so anyone can view and download.

rdonson

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »

Thanks, Scho!  Everything's working now.
Regards,
Ron

John R

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 03:01:20 pm »

I'm late to this thread, but it looks very interesting for my purposes. Can these techniques be used so that the images are deliberately out of register? In other words, they will look impressionistic or abstract because they are stacked and out of register . Some cameras already do this in-camera, but are all limited to 9 or ten images. From what I have read it should be possible to stack at least 20 images. Does anyone know if this can be done?

JR

Telecaster

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »

John, you can stack without aligning the individual pics. That should give you the sort of look you're going for. Make sure not to hold your camera too steady.  :)

-Dave-

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 04:07:10 am »

The very complete full review at Dpreview provides samples of the expected noise reduction (DR enhancement) for the same output/print size the Hires mode achieves because of statistical averaging:

4 shots divide noise by 2 with standard averaging, so the noise improvement of the Hires 8-shots must be around log4( 8 )=1,5 stops vs a single 16Mpx shot.

This gets closer to Sony FF sensor's DR and surely outperforms any Canon FF sensor's DR at base ISO. Of course this is nothing one couldn't achieve with any sensor shooting several times and averaging in PP.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:11:01 am by Guillermo Luijk »

Mousecop

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 09:38:25 pm »

Of course this is nothing one couldn't achieve with any sensor shooting several times and averaging in PP.
Not so much.

The Olympus method is based on shifting the sensor in a specific pattern.  The first four shots shift 1 full pixel each, which allows for better color rendition.  It then shifts 0.5 pixels to improve details.  Neither a fixed sensor, nor standard techniques in post, will be able to make such precise and predictable shifts.

PhotoAcute is a software post solution that also adds HDR capability.  However, results are not consistent, it takes a lot more processing time (using a standard computer), and requires alterations to your workflow.  It's also not going to work well if you have to process a large number of images, e.g. if you're shooting a catalog.

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:30 am »

Not so much

I was specifically talking about noise reduction here, not about the superresolution.

Mousecop

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »

I was specifically talking about noise reduction here, not about the superresolution.
My bad ;)

However, the answer is still pretty much the same.  You'd still need a specialized algorithm or software to know what is noise and what is not, which could mean you end up with similar results to existing NR software.  Knocking down noise with multiple similar exposures still means an increase in storage and post processing; it won't be consistent; it may alter your workflow; it's going to be difficult if you deal with a large number of images.

On a side note, if it was easy, I'd think it would already be included in HDR software.  I do very little HDR, so I'm not sure if this is routine now.

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »

Assuming the estimated noise improvement of 1,5 stops is correct, and looking at Dpreview's sample image I think it's quite a realistic figure, the new E-M5 II HiRes's dynamic range can compete with the very top:

Again, improving DR with a tripod (a must in HiRes mode) is nothing other cameras couldn't achieve through exposure bracketing, gaining one stop of DR for every bracketed 1-stop interval. It is completely true though that the Oly provides a single RAW file with the dynamic range improvement without needing to blend images out of the camera.

Nikon FF at base ISO remains unbeaten, but the Canon FF loses both in resolution and dynamic range vs the HiRes mode Oly.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:08:25 am by Guillermo Luijk »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 12:44:13 am »

Things are going to get interesting when Sony release a new 50MP camera that has the same DR as the D810 and can add multishot like the Olympus. At that point the MF camera makers will really feel the heat.

Edmund

Assuming the estimated noise improvement of 1,5 stops is correct, and looking at Dpreview's sample image I think it's quite a realistic figure, the new E-M5 II HiRes's dynamic range can compete with the very top:

Again, improving DR with a tripod (a must in HiRes mode) is nothing other cameras couldn't achieve through exposure bracketing, gaining one stop of DR for every bracketed 1-stop interval. It is completely true though that the Oly provides a single RAW file with the dynamic range improvement without needing to blend images out of the camera.

Nikon FF at base ISO remains unbeaten, but the Canon FF loses both in resolution and dynamic range vs the HiRes mode Oly.

Regards

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

AlterEgo

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 01:46:09 am »

Things are going to get interesting when Sony release a new 50MP camera that has the same DR as the D810 and can add multishot like the Olympus. At that point the MF camera makers will really feel the heat.
what prevents MF camera/back makers from making a multishot camera with new Sony MF sensor to respond ?

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 06:58:07 am »

what prevents MF camera/back makers from making a multishot camera with new Sony MF sensor to respond ?

In my opinion, real world application needs and real world lens capabilities.

Human eyes are not becoming sharper, so as long as capture and display devices outperform human vision, adding more Mpx just becomes marketing. Time runs against bigger formats. In fact this has already begun (most people takes pictures with tiny sensors on their smartphones because that is good enough for them).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:38:48 am by Guillermo Luijk »

AlterEgo

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 08:08:17 am »

most people takes pictures with tiny sensors on their smartphones because that is good enough for them
those were never not the customers of bigger formats like MF in the first place (we are not talking about digital APS-C or film FF here)

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 08:53:08 am »

It's exactly the same concept: users not upgrading (or voluntarily "downgrading"), because the "upper" system has nothing to offer for them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up