Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 Printer Strikes  (Read 2553 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
3880 Printer Strikes
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:25:43 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm getting patterns accross my paper, not all of the time, but more frequently now. It appears as if the roller is touching the paper surface. Im using Candon Baryta Rag Photo. Is this just simply a matter of widening the platen gap, or something more serious? Is there a way to set the platen gap in the software, versus doing it manually every time?

Thanks everyone!
JB Rasor

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: 3880 Printer Strikes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 01:11:56 am »

which feed path are you using for the paper?

I would try setting the paper thickness wider which moves the head further away from the paper as well as trying a wider platen gap.  The paper thickness is based on which paper choice you are making, so it's easy to have it set too small when using 3rd party papers.

If you get a setting you like I believe a printer preset stores both of those settings.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:51:58 am »

I'm using the auto sheet feed, which I've always used without issue. I'll mess around in the driver software and see if I can set the platen gap a little wider. It's just annoying because I end up losing a print because I forget to change it on the printer itself. Thanks though...back to the manual I suppose.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:00:56 am »

Strike my last comment Wayne...no pun intended. I found the platen gap setting and paper thickness settings in the print setup. Thanks for pointing it out! I appreciate your help! Hopefully that solves the issue.

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:14:59 am »

Hi,
You should be able to save your (platen, etc) settings as a 'Custom Paper' on the machine itself.
This may be safer than saving a 'Preset' in the computer. Also has the advantage of having a
little icon showing in the printer's LCD panel. Believe you can have about 10 Custom Papers.
I prefer to go to the LCD to check things. Up to you.
Cheers,
Phil

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 04:09:28 pm »

Before fiddling with menus, check the paper thickness specs.
Thickness   0.08-0.27mm via ASF / 0.29-0.5mm via rear manual / 1.2-1.5mm via front manual

http://www.epson.com.au/Prographics/products/largeformat/DisplaySpecs.asp?id=styluspro3880

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:03 pm »

Before fiddling with menus, check the paper thickness specs.
Thickness   0.08-0.27mm via ASF / 0.29-0.5mm via rear manual / 1.2-1.5mm via front manual

http://www.epson.com.au/Prographics/products/largeformat/DisplaySpecs.asp?id=styluspro3880

good point, the canson I believe is .3 mm thick (12 mil). Should probably use the rear manual feeder, and for best results the from manual.

I know it's not as easy to use the front manual feed, but the nicer thicker papers like this I hate forcing them to curl around the innards of an inkjet printer. One reason I've always like the 7xxx-9xxs series of Epson printers, straight through paper path.  I would rather use a straight paper path so I don't compromise printing with a wider paper width and platen gap than necessary.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:29:57 pm by Wayne Fox »

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:51:40 pm »

good point, the canson I believe is .3 mm thick (12 mil). Should probably use the rear manual feeder, and for best results the from manual.

Canson claim 0.31 mm, but when I have measured it has bewen a little thicker than that. I use a thickness setting of 4 and wide for the platen gap.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up