Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried the Seagull right angle viewfinder for Nikon FX?  (Read 2864 times)

John E

Anyone tried the Seagull right angle viewfinder for Nikon FX?
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:52:11 pm »

When I only had DX Nikon camera bodies, I purchased a DR-6 right angle viewfinder. I now need a different RA viewfinder for my D700, cause Nikon makes no adapter to fit the DR-6 on bodies with round viewfinder eyepieces (I thought I had read of a third party adapter solution several years ago, but never followed up on it - DOH!). As the DR-5 (which fits FX models) is a bit expensive on my retirement income, I've been thinking of purchasing a model made by Seagull. Just wondering if anyone had tried this model and could give advice regarding it's quality?

When I went to Canyon X down in Page AZ a couple of years ago, I found myself really lamenting the lack of one, as most of the shots I wanted to take were above me, and I really had to strain to get into a position to take a photo. Ended up shooting mostly handheld (usually at 6400 iso, due to the dark conditions), and those shots are very noisy. Thanks.

John

dwswager

Re: Anyone tried the Seagull right angle viewfinder for Nikon FX?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 03:07:59 pm »

When I only had DX Nikon camera bodies, I purchased a DR-6 right angle viewfinder. I now need a different RA viewfinder for my D700, cause Nikon makes no adapter to fit the DR-6 on bodies with round viewfinder eyepieces (I thought I had read of a third party adapter solution several years ago, but never followed up on it - DOH!). As the DR-5 (which fits FX models) is a bit expensive on my retirement income, I've been thinking of purchasing a model made by Seagull. Just wondering if anyone had tried this model and could give advice regarding it's quality?

When I went to Canyon X down in Page AZ a couple of years ago, I found myself really lamenting the lack of one, as most of the shots I wanted to take were above me, and I really had to strain to get into a position to take a photo. Ended up shooting mostly handheld (usually at 6400 iso, due to the dark conditions), and those shots are very noisy. Thanks.

John

Up front, I will tell you I have no experience with Seagull products.

However, you could find and old DR-3 and use the DK-18 adapter on the D700.  I bought a Minolta right angle finder with 1x/2x switch that was modified to fit my Nikon 90s (works on the D810 too).  I almost sold it as my last 2 cameras were Nikon with the rectangular viewfinder eyepieces.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:21:08 pm by dwswager »

John E

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:46:34 pm »

@dwswager - Thanks for the idea. If I decide to go 'used', this is a combo that's in the same price range as the Seagull.

John

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:34:41 pm »

@dwswager - Thanks for the idea. If I decide to go 'used', this is a combo that's in the same price range as the Seagull.

John

Ask this guy to turn over the little piece in the photo on his $25.99 Ebay Listing.  I suspect it is the same thing I have for my Nikons.  The Angle Finder VN fit on the rectacular Minolta and someone made the adapter that let you screw it to the Nikons.  See Photos Below.  There are probably lots more out there too.  I hear Kirk Enterprises makes the adapter for Minolta Finder VN to Nikon Round now as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:52:12 pm by dwswager »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »

I have one of the one-size-fits-all with included adaptors that I purchase on eBay several years ago. Chinese made and it has both a full viewfinder and a 2x magnifier at the flip of a lever.

It works just fine but takes a little time to set it up and get it adjusted when you mount it. I think mine came with all the adaptors for both the FX and DX cameras, all plastic.

I've used it a few times now if I remember to bring it along for both very low or very obtuse angles. However, I really prefer an articulated screen for many situations. When I shoot ceilings, especially with my fisheye, this accessory just can't be beat.

It's not the same quality as the Nikon-made, but for the price it is just fine and the eyepiece is diopter adjustable.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »

That's similar to what I have and use. For the priceā€¦
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

John E

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:54:48 pm »

Thanks for the info, guys. Really appreciate it.

John

Jan K.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:01 pm »

? I have a camera shop here, that claims the DK-18 is for the DR-6 as well?

But thanks for the info! Well timed too!  ;D

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »

? I have a camera shop here, that claims the DK-18 is for the DR-6 as well?

But thanks for the info! Well timed too!  ;D

Which right-angle finder can I use on my camera?
Pages: [1]   Go Up