Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon to Sony switch  (Read 11722 times)

IanB

Re: Canon to Sony switch
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 04:21:19 am »

I have 3 different Novoflex adapters for my A7r - all seem to be well made and trouble-free. Recommended.

marc aurel

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:25 am »

Well, as the 5DS (R) was unveiled, I believe that many of us will consider to switch to Nikon or Sony.
Actually I really hope that the Sony a7rII will be the promised land for landscape photographers, even if I'm not so convinced about the quality of lens adapters like Metabones.
On the one hand I'm happy as I found that the Metabones is just a spacer, but on the other hand I read many poor reviews, especially related to:

- light leakages with long exposures
- coupling quality

Does anybody have any experience? I was considering this model: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM4

My Metabones IV is not as tight as the Metabones III was (which was much too tight). The IV now behaves much more like the bayonet of a canon camera when you mount a lens. I did not have time to check if that has an effect on sharpness in corners - but I don't think so, at least I didn't notice anything yet. The improvements Metabones claims concerning internal reflections are not sufficient. You have to flock it inside too, at least if you use TS-Es (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=97089.0).

Regards - Marc

Chiotas

• Francesco Gola Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 04:38:46 am »

@Ian

Thank you so much for the advice! Honestly I didn't read yet anything about Novaflex adapters, but I'll start immediately!

@Marc

Wow, that's a great feedback!
Yep, I forgot to mention in my list the issue of quality/sharpness loss on corners (and this should be the first point on my list as I LOVE my Zeiss lens), but I really hope it is more a myth rather than a fact. Anyway, if sooner or later you'll have the chance to make such test, please let me know about the results! Thank you!

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 07:11:35 am »

When I was shooting an NEX-7 I used Novoflex adapters for my Leica and Nikon lenses. Top quality and zero problems.

marc aurel

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:52 am »

When I was shooting an NEX-7 I used Novoflex adapters for my Leica and Nikon lenses. Top quality and zero problems.

I have a Novoflex adapter to adapt my Contax PC-Distagon for use on the A7R too. It is well made and works well. But like the Leica lenses the PC-Distagon has an aperture ring that works manual. That's not the case with all Canon lenses. As far as I know the Novoflex Canon EF to E-Mount adapter is not able to control autofocus and - more important for some - the electronic aperture of Canon lenses like the TS-Es.
Marc
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:29:53 am by marc aurel »

Chiotas

• Francesco Gola Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 07:51:51 am »

Nice to know!
Zeiss Distagon lenses should be fully manual, so if the overall quality is great Novaflex adapter could be a good choice too

FabienP

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »

Nice to know!
Zeiss Distagon lenses should be fully manual, so if the overall quality is great Novaflex adapter could be a good choice too

Using the Novoflex adapter, I think you would still be unable to use manual lenses stopped down and would have to operate at full aperture. This is too bad, because the Novoflex is likely to be built according to better mechanical tolerances than the Metabones.

Having used a Sony A7 with a Metabones Mk3 adapter, I have mixed feelings about the combo. The internal adapter reflections coupled with the internal sensor reflections (on night shots) can spoil situations where the extended dynamic range of Sony sensors could otherwise be greatly appreciated. The sensor reflections appear to have been fixed on the A7ii.

Another aspect to mention when operating the camera with large lenses such as Zeiss Distagon lenses is that the whole camera + adapter + lens combo will be unbalanced. There will be too much weight on the front, which makes for a not so pleasant experience when shooting hand-held.

That being said, until Canon comes with a DSLR featuring an optional EVF, using a A7 body might still be the better solution for precise focusing with manual lenses.

scooby70

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 04:54:42 pm »

I have three Novoflex adapters for Minolta "MD," Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD.

All of these are just dumb metal adapters and as the aperture ring is on the lenses you set the aperture and view through the EVF at that aperture. You can focus with the aperture wide open and manually stop down before you shoot if that's what you like to do.

NancyP

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »

The current series of Zeiss Distagon ZE lenses has electronic aperture control but no physical aperture ring - 21mm f/2.8 being an example. The Nikon versions of these lenses have physical aperture rings. The quality of adapter electronic pass-through of lens-body communication is thus highly important for existing Canon users. You can make do fine with manual focus. Not being able to control the aperture in any way is a deal-breaker for me and others. You might be able to use Zeisses made for rangefinder cameras.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up