Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Advanced Profiling Solution  (Read 3336 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
HP Advanced Profiling Solution
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »

I picked up this optional software and monitor puck on ebay recently. I tried making a 918 patch profile today and made two test prints. The 918 profile print was better than the one with the 450 patch profile but the improvements were subtle but there. At least I am now making the best profiles that my Z3100 is capable of.
Mike

Phil Indeblanc

Re: HP Advanced Profiling Solution
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:12:58 pm »

how is that?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Mike Sellers

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:45:53 pm »

it requests the key from the cd cover and a live internet connection and the only way to get the cd with key is to buy the package.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:11:06 am »

I guess you both are working on a windows platform? after 10.6 on a mac it stopt working....
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mike Sellers

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:56:58 am »

Well, maybe but I needed a new monitor profiler anyway.
Mike

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 12:28:44 pm »

I'm on Win7,
So with HP APSystem software the z printer can do the large patches? I guess it has a section of the HP Utility that creates profiles, and then you sync them with the HP printer utility?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Mike Sellers

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »

After downloading and installing the software you have an icon that you click then in order to proceed with the printer profiling you need to have the eye one plugged in so I can`t see how you can use the software without buying the package with eye one calibrator. You can access the software here:
 http://www.giainteractive.com/aps/en/update.html

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »

After downloading and installing the software you have an icon that you click then in order to proceed with the printer profiling you need to have the eye one plugged in so I can`t see how you can use the software without buying the package with eye one calibrator. You can access the software here:
 http://www.giainteractive.com/aps/en/update.html

I already had an NEC monitor with x-rite puck and software, so I don't use, never even tried to use APS to calibrate a monitor. Works great for making profiles of paper, though, both on the z3100 and my Canon ipf8300. I just downloaded the software and on a lark, tried to activate and it did. I figured they were just doing the right thing since it's old and outdated and I don't even think one has been able to buy a z3100 new for a few years now.

UPDATE: But, hey, I just selected monitor profiling and it detects my existing NEC x-rite puck, so I guess it would work. Probably won't use it as I doubt it's better than the existing Spectraview software, but I never even tried it before.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:26:10 pm by Roscolo »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:52:36 am »

I already had an NEC monitor with x-rite puck and software, so I don't use, never even tried to use APS to calibrate a monitor. Works great for making profiles of paper, though, both on the z3100 and my Canon ipf8300. I just downloaded the software and on a lark, tried to activate and it did. I figured they were just doing the right thing since it's old and outdated and I don't even think one has been able to buy a z3100 new for a few years now.

UPDATE: But, hey, I just selected monitor profiling and it detects my existing NEC x-rite puck, so I guess it would work. Probably won't use it as I doubt it's better than the existing Spectraview software, but I never even tried it before.

I wonder whether updates of APS are still available from X-rite or HP sites. For a Windows system switch I wanted the latest version but could not access pages there. Not with the original CD and not with a search for APS. I still had V 1.31 and V 1.40 archived but only a rudimentary V 1.41 available. By loading the installed data from the old system on top of 1.40 on the new system the 1.41 worked. Anyone having a compressed V1.41 archived?

You are lucky that it accepted the NEC version Display II, AFAIK both the NEC and the HP APS version have firmware installed that differs from the normal Display II. It could be that the HP Dreamcolor puck acts the same then. Wonder whether HP or X-Rite made a shortcut on the coding for three versions. Here I use the original APS puck only as a key. The Display Pro is much better at monitor calibration + profiling.

I think that APS creates better printer profiles on the Z3100 than Color Center profile does but the difference is minimal on the Z3200 where CC has been improved.

Based on the data in the saved measurement files of APS it would not be impossible to use APS stand alone I think, if you alter the spectral measurement files made with another spectrometer. Preferably an UV-cut one then to get closer to the Z's spectrometer properties. So even without a Z printer it could be used. No trials done though.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots 

Pages: [1]   Go Up