Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Recommendation for framed prints from Epson R2400  (Read 2141 times)

dwswager

Paper Recommendation for framed prints from Epson R2400
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »

Currently printing with the R2400 and I've been using nothing but Epson Inks and Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte and Epson Ultra Premium Luster.  I'm not necessarily dissatisfied with them, but am looking for paper recommendations for Framed Prints (matted under glass) of both Lanscape/Cityscape/Nightscape images and head & shoulder and full length portraits.

I don't want to change inksets so I am looking for papers that show good detail, contrast and the ink load (low key nightscapes).  Something that also comes on a roll would be helpful as I print some multi-shot images to lean toward a 2:1 and 3:1 aspect as well as more standard 11 x 14 and 13 x 19 prints.  The R2400 has a page size limit of 13" wide.

Thanks!

hugowolf

Re: Paper Recommendation for framed prints from Epson R2400
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:41 pm »

Epson Lustre 260 is as good as any RC luster, but 13" rolls, kinda cuts out all the usual high end smooth matte papers, like Canson Rag Photographique 310 and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308.

I would have a look at Moab, they have several papers in odd isizes, including 13" rolls and even international papers sizes like A2.

Brian A

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:27:33 am »

I have an r2400. I liked Red River Aurora fine art paper. I prefer the white to the natural. Comes in rolls as well. Not too expensive.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:00 am »

If you want the simplest kind of framing where an unmounted print is simply held in place behind a matte by tape, hinges, or corners, then you should work with a matte paper.  All those methods will create a slightly rippling print surface that will reveal fun-house-mirror-like reflections on glossy, but not on matte papers.  If you plan to mount your prints nice and flat with drymount, glue, or adhesive, then gloss may offer some advantages for your night shots due to increased perceived maximum blacks.  FWIW mounting glossy papers without bumps requires some experience.

Epson Hot Press Bright and Hot Press Natural are two lovely matte papers that are both economical and top quality image-wise, especially for portraits and landscapes. Your night shots would not suffer much at all on those papers.  I suspect that Presentation Matte is also quite good, though I have not used it.  Keep in mind that matte paper shown behind glass inherits a slight glossy feel by virtue of the glass surface.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:55 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't like to try and deal with too many papers at one time because I have a hard enough time profiling and tweaking each one.  The rolls were only necessary for the wider images where I might print 10 x 24 or something like that.  I'll have a look at the suggestions and see.

Thanks again!

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 04:05:38 pm »

I've ordered the Epson and Canson sample packs.  Seems the Epson Hot Press papers get spectacular review, but want to also try some other brands.

Unfortunately, there are new Epson R2400 profiles for the Hot Press papers.  I am told that one can use the profile for the Ultra Smooth Fine Art paper with success.  I can attempt to build a profile for this, but 2 sheets isn't gonna be enough.

Also, since I have a 24 inch Rotatrimmer, I can cut down 24" sheets or 24" roll paper to 13" or smaller widths which limits me to 24" wide.  Ugh!  Not sure I can heft or get a 100lb 4900 past the SuperWife!

Thanks all for the suggestions.

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:35 pm »

Epson Lustre 260 is as good as any RC luster, but 13" rolls, kinda cuts out all the usual high end smooth matte papers, like Canson Rag Photographique 310 and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308.

I would have a look at Moab, they have several papers in odd isizes, including 13" rolls and even international papers sizes like A2.

I've decided to cut 24" inch rolls to width.  So that brings most papers back in.

I have to admit, that as much as I like Epson Exhibition Fiber for the pop, color and sharpness, Epson Premium Luster (260) holds up really well for about 1/4 the price.  I really wanted to not like it as much, but it is still a great paper. And I liked the Epson Hot Press papers as matte replacements.  The below cost comparision was eye opening. Thanks all!

Pages: [1]   Go Up