Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eastern Point Lighthouse  (Read 1597 times)

Respilot

Eastern Point Lighthouse
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:58:59 pm »

Sunrise at Eastern Point Lighthouse, Gloucester, Massachusetts.

Image #1
Nikon D800E
PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt/Shift

F/32
ISO 50
Speed .077 Sec

Filter Used: Singh-Ray
Gold-N-Blue Polarizer
3 Stop Reverse GND

Image #2
Nikon D800E
PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt/Shift

F/32
ISO 50
Speed 1.3 Sec

Filter Used: Singh-Ray
Gold-N-Blue Polarizer
3 Stop Reverse GND

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Eastern Point Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:25 pm »

Both images are ruined by the excessive, digital burnt highlights. Solution? 1. Bracketing to have a -2 or -3 f/stops for the sun or 2. Shooting a few minutes earlier, when only a smidgen of the sun appeared. On an unrelated note, f/32 seems like an overkill, especially with a tilt-shift lens, resulting in a significant loss of overall sharpness.

Respilot

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »

:D :D :D :DThank you very much.  Photograph is an Art.  To me capture these icon lighthouse with a real tool without seating in from of computer adding cosmetic of Photoshop to an photograph is not an easy it take a lots of experience.  Show me your work please.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:13:38 am »

Andy, it is perfectly ok if you prefer to do it in camera, not Photoshop. That is why my advice had two parts, one of which doesn't require Photoshop, just better timing.

Photography can be art, indeed. It is also the art of capturing the right moment, something quite inherent to photography. To successfully incorporate sun in your photography, you have to capture it at the right moment. Sun is a very powerful light source. Shooting directly into it will usually result in a big blob of a blown highlight, and might even damage the sensor. Digital is especially unforgiving for blown highlights (film, especially the negative type, has a better transition between a blown highlight and the surrounding area).

So, what's the solution? If you don't want to sit in front of the computer, then the only solution is to catch the sun a few minutes earlier in the morning (or later in the evening) when it just starts appearing above the horizon. Or hide a part of it behind something, like I did in this photograph:

Paris - Pont Notre-Dame
by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr

As for showing my work, you can see it on Flickr (a link is in my signature), for instance this album

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:36:10 pm »

Or hide a part of it behind something, like I did in this photograph:

Gorgeous!
Pages: [1]   Go Up