Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr Backup Catalog to Onedrive  (Read 2660 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Lr Backup Catalog to Onedrive
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:17 am »

I have set my Lr backup catalog to be stored on Microsoft's Onedrive each time I run the backup feature when closing Lr. I try to do this every week or two or whenever I've done a lot of important edits.

Today I noticed that my most recent backup copy was not on Onedrive correctly. I started a manual copy to Onedrive from the backup location on my C drive and now, over an hour later, it still appears to be uploading.

My catalog is about 1.5GB. A test of my internet connection shows an upload speed of about 5MB/second. At that speed, I should be able to upload the catalog in about five minutes or at least two or three times that amount, assuming some latency on the Onedriver servers.

Has anyone else set up Onedrive as a Lr catalog backup location, and if so, how is working?

Update - It appears that the upload has finished. It started at 0937 and finished at 1053. About an hour and twenty minutes to upload the 1.5GB catalog. Note to self - do not shut down or put the computer to sleep after doing a Lr backup!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:55:08 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

AFairley

Re: Lr Backup Catalog to Onedrive
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:20:17 am »

This is more or less in line with my experience, time wise, in trying to keep a duplicate copy of my LR catalog in the cloud by syncing to Box.com.  I stopped because of the time issues - I would have to wait for the changed catalog to copy up to the cloud before I could shut down the PC or I would end up with duplicate/different versions of the catalog if.  I may try your catalog backup backup idea though....

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lr Backup Catalog to Onedrive
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:03:21 pm »

Zipping the lrcat backup file will save 90% of disc space and should make the transfer faster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up