Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How should I move my Lr5.7 catalog/previews to a new computer?  (Read 1717 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
How should I move my Lr5.7 catalog/previews to a new computer?
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:48:13 am »

About to buy a new macbook pro. Migrate using set up assistant from a cloned back up of my current hard drive has been suggested.

Just want advice on the best way to proceed so I don't screw things up. Currently my catalog and previews on my internal mbp hard drive. All my photos on external drives.

I do plan to just quit out of my cc photoshop/lightroom subscription and sign back in on the new computer. I don't see any 'deactivate' button to hit in photoshop CC. I'll deactivate photoshop CS6, as well as Illustrator and Indesign CS3. Not sure how to re-install those. Off the latest upgrade discs I have? I've never done this, so it'll be a new adventure with Adobe.

Ok. Any advice, experience appreciated. Thanks.
M.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How should I move my Lr5.7 catalog/previews to a new computer?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:56:20 am »

A simple question.... Do you know which folder contains your catalogue?

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:00:16 am »

A simple question.... Do you know which folder contains your catalogue?

Hi John. Yes, I do.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:58:36 am »

Good, because that's the key to moving your LR work. You can use a cloned copy of the drive, or simply move the catalogue/previews manually using Finder to temporarily copy them onto an external drive and then onto the new computer.

Before moving, I suggest you run the Library > Find Missing Photos command. If any photos are missing, point LR to where the photos have been moved. Once this catalogue is on the new computer, and the photos drive is attached, repeat the process.

The other thing to look for is your presets/templates. Maybe you have lots of these? If so, it may be that Migration Assistant copies them across, but if not, you can move them manually. In Preferences, Presets, you can go to where LR stores them.

On the other points, you should be able to install the older programs directly from Adobe - you won't need to load one disc after another. Log in to your Adobe account and look for My Products which should list all your serial numbers. There are instructions here which refer to previous versions.

John

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:15:53 am »

Good, because that's the key to moving your LR work. You can use a cloned copy of the drive, or simply move the catalogue/previews manually using Finder to temporarily copy them onto an external drive and then onto the new computer.

Before moving, I suggest you run the Library > Find Missing Photos command. If any photos are missing, point LR to where the photos have been moved. Once this catalogue is on the new computer, and the photos drive is attached, repeat the process.

The other thing to look for is your presets/templates. Maybe you have lots of these? If so, it may be that Migration Assistant copies them across, but if not, you can move them manually. In Preferences, Presets, you can go to where LR stores them.

On the other points, you should be able to install the older programs directly from Adobe - you won't need to load one disc after another. Log in to your Adobe account and look for My Products which should list all your serial numbers. There are instructions here which refer to previous versions.

John
John, thanks for all this great info. kind regards, Morris

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:27:41 am »

Some general advice is to resist overcomplicating the move, Morris. Sometimes I see people deciding that migrating from one computer to another, even from Pc to Mac, is a good opportunity to reorganise their folder system. It really isn't. Instead, as with my initial question to you, or the comment about missing files, focus on ensuring your starting point is solid and then move things over exactly as they are. Think about any reorganisation later, once things have settled down.

There's no hurry, and don't skimp on backup.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 10:44:32 am »

Some general advice is to resist overcomplicating the move, Morris. Sometimes I see people deciding that migrating from one computer to another, even from Pc to Mac, is a good opportunity to reorganise their folder system. It really isn't. Instead, as with my initial question to you, or the comment about missing files, focus on ensuring your starting point is solid and then move things over exactly as they are. Think about any reorganisation later, once things have settled down.

There's no hurry, and don't skimp on backup.

I hear you John. Part of why I'm putting questions out there. All my photos are on drives that won't change. It's only the applications and the lr catalog and previews I'm concerned with. I'm actually fine with how my files are organized. Just wanting the least amount problems as I move to new faster computer.

Maybe simple to others, but I wonder if I'll have to download photoshop and lightroom again to the new computer if I just sign back into CC and don't copy over the applications that are on my current internal mbp drive. I've never done this before so don't know what to expect.

Another thing. I'm not sure 'how to transfer' the files. I can easily make a backup, a clone of my existing internal hard drive. Clone it to an external drive that's in a OWC mercury elite pro enclosure. But how to connect to the new computer that doesn't have the esata, firewire connections and usb2 on my external drive. I think the new mbp has usb but do i really want to use usb to migrate 140 gb of applications, etc?

New questions come as the hours pass. Each day I remember new things like what about spectraview ll, capture one, my nik software, etc. and compatibility with yosemite 10.10? Slowly going through all this. I'm sure I'll have a surprise or two down the road. Just too many variables to consider everything. But trying to at least get down all my work programs, everything I use to do my daily work. That's doable.

I have questions on various forums to try and cull all the info I need before I attempt my move.

Again, thanks for your input here. I appreciate it.
Morris
Pages: [1]   Go Up