Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems after profiling with I1 Display Pro.  (Read 3234 times)

thierrylegros396

Problems after profiling with I1 Display Pro.
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:29:13 am »

Good Morning,

I've profiled my Eizo Flexscan2436 and obtained good results with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS5 with I1 Display Pro.

XnView works also perfect and softproofing works better now.

But Windows Viewer shows me very dark pictures as if gamma was wrong.

Sometimes the color temp seems to be too cool or too warm with all softwares.

Is it possible that the problem lies in the fact that by default I1 generates V4 profiles?

My old Spyder generates V2 and I didn't have any problems like that!

Have A Nice Day.

Thierry

Simon Garrett

Re: Problems after profiling with I1 Display Pro.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:02:38 am »

My suggestion: if there are problems with colour management and you're using a v4 monitor profile, always try v2 and see if that fixes it.  Some software doesn't like v4 profiles, which result in mysterious and unpredictable errors.  Lightroom didn't like v4 - not sure if that's fixed now.  Firefox requires a non-default option to be set.

However, there are few practical benefits of v4.  In theory v4 profiles can result in better perceptual rendering - but only (AKAIK) if both profiles are v4 - the profile of the image you're displaying and the profile of the monitor.  Generally, image profiles are v2.  The ICC rave over them (http://www.color.org/whyusev4.xalter) but I think the benefits are a bit oversold at the moment. 

Andrew Rodney (aka digital dog) knows much more about this, and may perhaps explain this better. But I don't use v4 profiles.   

howardm

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31:03 am »

it would be trivial to just make a V2 profile and try it.  If you saved the measurement data, then you probably only need to regenerate the profile via the last step in the workflow.

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:53 am »

There's also matrix based vs. LUT (table) based profiles. Can't remember what the default is in i1Profiler, but matrix is safer.

I have actually never seen any problems with v4 anywhere, but I have seen Firefox in trouble with LUT profiles (clipped blacks). LUT is more accurate when it works, but is more complex and more error-prone. Matrix is simpler and more reliable.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:53:42 am »

V4 profiles bring nothing to the party but grief. Stick with V2. I've yet to find a V4 profile that wasn't just a V2 in sheep's clothing, no PRMG support which is what makes the spec that no one appears to fully support kind of useful.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

thierrylegros396

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:54:00 pm »

That was the problem.

V2 Profile versions fix all troubles!

Matrix is the default option with I1 Display Pro.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:10:19 am »

V4 profiles bring nothing to the party but grief. Stick with V2. I've yet to find a V4 profile that wasn't just a V2 in sheep's clothing, no PRMG support which is what makes the spec that no one appears to fully support kind of useful.
Yep - and technically there's nothing to stop the PRMG being used with V2 profiles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up