Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moved files in WinExplorer, how can I apply the settings?  (Read 1016 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Moved files in WinExplorer, how can I apply the settings?
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:53:52 am »

I needed to manage a large group of files that were in LR in a messy manner. I managed the files via WinExplorer by making folders (2005-xx-xx) in Date structure.
Then I imported them back into the Catalog by Unselecting the Donnot import dupes option.

So I have the LR previews with the settings/edits I made in the folder, but they are missing the images, as they are now in a set of new multiple folders.
I tried to "Move" the LR thumbs/Settings to the new folder, but it says there are no Photos to move.

How can I get the settings and such associated to the new location?  

I know a bit of a mess! Yes, I know I should have created the folders in LR, then moved in LR.
LR is a bit sluggish, and I thought I had setup sidecar xmp files, but nope. I thought there would be someway to get the edits to associate with the file names.

(I updated this post to be a bit more clear in what I did)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 05:59:27 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Simon Garrett

Re: Moved files in WinExplorer, how can I apply the settings?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:24:04 am »

Well, the important thing for the future is, where possible - don't move files in Windows Explorer.  Drag them around in the Library Module folders list instead.

However, if you do move them around in Explorer, then when you try to look at them in Lightroom you see a ! by each file that you've moved, or a ? by each folder if you've moved the folder.  You can click on the file or right-click on the folder, and you get a dialog to tell Lightroom where the folder of file have gone.

If you've re-imported them, you may well have lost the edits.  If the edits are saved in xmp files you might be able to select files and choose Metadata... and "Read Meta from file", but that may import edits but it won't import edit history.  You'll also lose collections.

Better is to go back to a backup catalog, and do what I said in the 2nd para, and tell Lightroom where the files have gone - don't reimport.  

Edited, after Phil added some extra comments

Edits are stored in the catalogue, and also optionally in xmp files.  You say you don't have the xmp files - I guess that means you don't have the option "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked in catalogue settings.  That means the edits are only in the catalogue.  If you re-import the files, you start with a clean sheet. No edits.  If the old entries are still there - the ones for where the files used to be (with ! or ? by the file or folder name) - then you can point the old entries to the new location by right-clicking as I said above.  If you've lost or removed those old entries, then the edits are also lost.

Have you any backup catalogues?  By default, Lightroom prompts you to make a backup once a week, in which case you can open the latest backup (make a copy first) and then point the entries to the new locations as above.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:28:37 am by Simon Garrett »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:24 am »

I see.
Yes, I have a backup catalog, and the ! signs are there on my previews.
What you said makes good sense. I can go individually relocate, or restore a backed up catalog. I gotcha! Thanks a lot.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:57 am »

One thing: before doing anything complicated, take backups!  If you use a backup of the catalogue, save the latest one somewhere, and take a copy of the backup before you use it. 

This shouldn't mess with your files, but make sure you've got a backup anyway. 

Recovering things tends to be a manual, potentially error-prone process.  Lots of backups are good. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up