Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tulips times five  (Read 3878 times)

wmchauncey

Tulips times five
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:39:09 pm »

I think maybe that it looks okay...what say you guys...could I improve on it?

The things you do for yourself die with

mbaginy

Re: Tulips times five
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »

Oh yes!  I really like those tulips.  I can't think of anything which might improve that shot - looks perfect to me.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:05:51 am »

+1. The composition plus lighting works perfectly here.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

wmchauncey

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:00:03 pm »

Wasn't that satisfied, so I reshot the stems only...the petals were falling off the plant.     :o

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »

The reshot composition is nice too.  But to be truthful, I prefer the original (first) shot - it's less symmetric.  The blossoms create a less prefect arc.

AreBee

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 02:01:52 pm »

wmchauncey,

Wasn't that satisfied...

Quite right - the second is significantly stronger than the first. It would benefit from marginal cropping of a vertical strip from the left hand edge, to better balance the black space on each side of the plant.

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 02:56:41 pm »

Sorry, nothing kills a flower or arrangement of flowers more than a black background. The flowers look flat--all on the same plane in a vacuous environment. I can't smell theses flowers. A great flower photo activates other senses. That's when you know you've mastered botanical photography. Not to be harsh, it's honest criticism.

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 02:03:11 am »

Sorry, nothing kills a flower or arrangement of flowers more than a black background.
I find your thoughts too much of a generalization.  The tulips are obviously not photographed outdoors where they grew.  I find this black background strengthens the geometry of the flower's / blossom's composition and allows me to focus better on their details.  Lighting controls the sense of depth to a large degree.

Both arrangements, the ones shown here and possible compositions outdoors with fore and background, can be pleasing or shot poorly.  They would simply be different.  I like these images very much (as well as the orchid shots).

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:33 pm »

Look through botanical photo catalogs, source books, flower ads and collateral marketed to interior decorators, frame shop poster peddlers, and interior architects. You will find less than .01% of all floral images have an empty black background (I used to be in the business). If one asks for a critique, one should be prepared to see their work from a fresh set of eyes. My comments are well-meaning and intellectually honest. If the tulip guy wants to stay where he is at and get nit-picky about symmetry of stems and use the same type of lighting--basically the same technique, he will not grow as an artist/photographer. If he's interested in selling that type of work, good luck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:52:01 pm by BobDavid »

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 05:49:52 am »

Yes, I absolutely believe you and your experience.  In this case, I’m not sure of the purpose of the photograph(s).  Possibly for a commercial purpose, but maybe not.  My comments were made solely with my personal views in mind.  Photography for commercial intent (of which I have very limited experience) will surely need depict the flowers in a very appealing environment to advise potential customers how beautiful they’ll look in their garden and to attract as many eyes as possible.

Since the great majority of my photography is strictly for personal use, I’m at liberty to photograph as I wish and also experiment.  I’ve often enjoyed flower arrangements and these two as well as the previous orchid shots, I find very appealing (even though they’d probably not be ideal for commercial usage, selling plants or bulbs.

wmchauncey

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 07:48:19 am »

Be aware that I take no offense to another's point of view.  I buy all my flowers at the local Home Depot
 and shoot them indoors.  They are purely for personal enjoyment.

I use a black background simply due to the drama that I feel is imparted to the image and...I have no eye for color.
Color complimenting is something that is alien to my thought system.

Perhaps one of you guys could give me a lesson as to what color goes well with what color referencing the color wheel...
go with opposites/adjoining...what?      ???

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:36 pm »

I'll see if I've got a few files from the early 2000s. That's when I was commissioned to photograph flowers. By no means am I an expert. I did however sell editions to interior architects for decorating rooms at boutique hotels. I made decent $$ doing that once upon a time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up