Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up ?  (Read 113173 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Will the Real Landscape Photography Please Stand Up ?
« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2015, 12:20:43 pm »

...Apparently Mike Johnston (of The Online Photographer fame) had nothing to say about your comment.

Still saying nothing about my comment, but coincidentally, he had another blog post the other day about "is photography art?"

I cherry-picked the following (bold mine):

Most contemporary commentators are content to dismiss the issue either by questioning its relevance or by concluding that it can't be resolved. Yeah, photography sort of is art, they seem to be saying, but it sort of isn't, and besides it really doesn't matter.

And the one close to my comment (again, bold mine):

what I believe: that photography is not an art, but that some photographers are nevertheless artists.

Except I package it a bit differently: those are artists who happen to be photographers.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »

Burt Glinn from the 1981 book World Photography by Bryn Campbell.

"Our world is so flooded with photographic images that when we preconceive we end up, probably unwittingly, taking pictures of pictures we have seen."

Isaac

« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2015, 01:04:45 pm »

Still saying nothing about my comment, but coincidentally, he had another blog post the other day about "is photography art?"

I don't think that blog post says anything much of relevance to your original comment:

"There is a profound difference between artists using photography as a medium, and photographers striving to create art."

"I don't have to give myself a label. What I can do is say 'no' to certain things. For example, if I'm invited to do a photography show, I tend to say no. The medium itself, I find, is a relatively boring context. You would never see a show about acrylic painting. If it's that kind of understanding of the medium, it's completely uninteresting on an intellectual level. I make art. I don't come from a photographic background and I try to stay away from contexts where the work is diminished down to how it's made. For example, I wouldn't do a show about Fuji film.

I don't teach photography students, I teach art students, and if they think they can make use of a camera that's fine. But probably they've started at the wrong end because they've chosen their medium before they've chosen their content."

Thomas Demand, pp14-22 Image Makers, Image Takers

Is there a profound difference between artists using painting as a medium, and painters striving to create art etc. ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:06:20 pm by Isaac »

NancyP

« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:35 pm »

"All" photographers do is select image contents and then modify to taste. There isn't the degree of individuality conferred by having to use hand and arm to create an image. Drawings and paintings show the characteristic pencil/crayon/brush/pen strokes and brush strokes of the individual artist - as individual as a person's handwriting. The more mechanical nature of photography accounts for its reputed objectivity and for the eternal question "But Is It Art?". In some ways the "new film", "alternative/historical methods" movement and the use of experimental photography as part of mixed media art are attempts to get away from the mechanical objectivity to something that feels more like traditional art. (and of course some people just like to mess around with wet plates, etc).

Isaac

« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:13 pm »

Drawings and paintings show the characteristic pencil/crayon/brush/pen strokes and brush strokes of the individual artist - as individual as a person's handwriting.

Not really, "because there is never going to be a definitive Rembrandt."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »

...Is there a profound difference between artists using painting as a medium, and painters striving to create art etc. ?

Of course... the latter you pay by the square footage of your walls, plus paint.

Isaac

« Reply #286 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:14 am »

Of course... the latter you pay by the square footage of your walls, plus paint.

So "photographers striving to create art" you would pay by the square footage of your walls, plus canvas.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2015, 04:44:45 am »

I still wonder what a "real landscape photography" looks like.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Isaac

« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:56 am »

Ask the blogger.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2015, 11:46:59 am »

Ask the blogger.
He doesn't seems to know, either.

Isaac

« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2015, 11:59:42 am »

If the blogger doesn't know a difference between what they mean by "real landscape photography" and what they mean by "landscape photography" then it's not anything we need to wonder about.

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2015, 12:02:58 pm »

If the blogger doesn't know a difference between what they mean by "real landscape photography" and what they mean by "landscape photography" then it's not anything we need to wonder about.

That's what I thought, in fact...

Gulag

« Reply #292 on: March 07, 2015, 03:17:51 pm »

I still wonder what a "real landscape photography" looks like.

May I suggest Google Image Dresden Bombing before and after,  Stalingrad Battle Before and After,  as well as Hiroshima before and after? You will definitely witness the power of the Western technology and its most important concept of man.

For those who really want to make a more valuable commodity in the artwork,  let me quote this French guy:

"The market value of suffering and death had become superior to that of pleasure and sex, Jed thought, and it was probably for this reason that Damien Hirst had, a few years earlier, replaced Jeff Koons at the top of the art market."

— Michel Houellebecq, The Map and the Territory
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:23:11 pm by Gulag »
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2015, 04:12:05 pm »

I'm not sure why the "real" adjective should apply to city bombing's photo but not to "postcard style" photo.

On the marketing value of death and suffering in art, I'm not sure it's a modern trait: most of ancient art deals with battles, fights between heroes and so on.
And don't forget the via crucis, or Michelangelo's "La pietà".

One can surely say that "La pietà" is not about death and suffering but about the love of a mother, but the same thing can be said about Kenneth Jarecke's dead tank driver, that is not about death but about the will of living.

No matter what, I think that death and suffering value in art is nothing new.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up