Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting at sea in wild weather  (Read 2649 times)

Malcolm MacGarvin

Shooting at sea in wild weather
« on: January 06, 2006, 03:55:53 am »

I do a lot of photography on small-scale fishing boats, but am missing some of the best shots in wild weather.

1) Any thoughts about suitable equipment with full environmental sealing that will stand up to liberal doses of salt water? Specifically, I have been mulling over basing on the Canon 1Ds.

2) Any thoughts about best means of keeping lens water and salt free under stressful conditions!

Malcolm

[attachment=123:attachment]

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 05:45:05 am »

I do a lot of photography on small-scale fishing boats, but am missing some of the best shots in wild weather.

1) Any thoughts about suitable equipment with full environmental sealing that will stand up to liberal doses of salt water? Specifically, I have been mulling over basing on the Canon 1Ds.

2) Any thoughts about best means of keeping lens water and salt free under stressful conditions!

Malcolm

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 05:48:19 am »

Malcolm

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=55346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Option 1.
EWA bag would be fine to protect it from the elements, but I found it cumbersome to use and is difficult to keep the front of the lens port clear of droplets.
I know your current uses are aboard a vessel, but I wouldn't be tempted to use it underwater in the EWA bag, although some have done so without flooding their camera - but some have - so beware!

Option 2.
Designated underwater housing for existing camera. Expensive, and still has problems with lens port surface. Can be used then for underwater fun!

Option 3.
Designated underwater housing for new, less expensive SLR camera - means less expensive housing.

Regardless of the option you choose, water droplets on the front of the lens port will be a problem. You need to change the surface tension on the front of the glass. Some use a cut apple surface on the port to repel droplets and salt - rinsing off the  little bits of apple with fresh water carefully.
I prefer to use a drop of shampoo, must be a clearish one not 'cloudy/milky", and then rub it carefully over the front of the lens port. Rinse off carefully to remove any bubbles and shampoo so it is not streaky. That should last for one CF card. Reapeat after you change the card.

Julie

edited typo
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 05:57:38 am by jule »

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 05:52:55 am »

Get yourself an underwater housing. The 1Ds  and its updates may be water resistant, but that means rain, fog, snow -not salt water.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au
www.briangilkes.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up