Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise Ninja-best results  (Read 3994 times)

macgyver

Noise Ninja-best results
« on: January 06, 2006, 12:15:53 am »

As much as I love Noise Ninja, I've never been totally pleased with it; I can't seem to get quite as good looking results as I've seen from others using it, especially here on Luminous Landscape.  Using the auto reduction process its seemed to leave everything with sort of a -bear with me here- smoothed over, kinda blended look.  Kinda like it was run through a very, very light "palette knife" filter in photoshop.

Like I said earlier, I've seen excellent results for people using this, but I'm not sure what I'm missing.  I've been playing with it some and been getting better results, but I'm just curious, what kind of settings do you use?  Tricks?  Tips? Suggestions that I shut up?

Thanks everyone.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
Noise Ninja-best results
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 06:02:55 am »

Best tips I can offer:
1/ use camera profiles downloaded from the website rather than Auto mode.

2/ Apply noise reduction before any other processing so that profiles are accurate.

3/ I have a Canon camera which tends to produce chroma noise at high ISO, therefore, I use the standard settings for chroma noise reduction but reduce the amount of luminance noise reduction applied. This leaves some 'grain' but removes the colour speckling/blotches.

4/ Use the brush to paint back detail where required (though not very often necessary).

Generally, apply noise reduction lightly to an image and be prepared to reduce rather than eliminate noise.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

oldcsar

Noise Ninja-best results
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 05:02:56 pm »

DiaAzul gives some sound advice. That plastic or oversmoothed look can be attributed to aggressive noise reduction and/or the use of a profile which doesn't match the noise pattern of your camera.

both Noise Ninja and NeatImage are good programs... have you tried out Neatimage? www.neatimage.com offers a fully functional (a 16-bit version costs, though. this version might not handle TIFFs either, but it's a good chance to figure out what you need) free version, and their profile libraries are far better than Noise Ninja's. It may or may not produce better results for you, but the different interface might help you get the result you want.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 05:04:52 pm by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

macgyver

Noise Ninja-best results
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 01:19:44 am »

Thanks all.  I;ve already implemented much of that, like the custom profiles and whatnot, but it's nice to know I'm on the right track.  Guess I just need to do some print tests.
Pages: [1]   Go Up