Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on a single sheet of inkjet paper multiple times  (Read 1477 times)

turner-tom

Printing on a single sheet of inkjet paper multiple times
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:30 pm »

Hi Guys,
I am searching for a way to print individual color channels on top of each other on my Canon IPF8400. I would like to print the Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black color channels separately. Every time I load the paper into the printer after the Yellow it gives me an error saying "this paper cannot be used as size is not supported". I have searched for this error and haven't come up with a fix for it. Is there a sensor inside the menus that I can turn off? What are dangers to my printer in turning off this sensor (if it exists)? Any and all help would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Tom 

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Printing on a single sheet of inkjet paper multiple times
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »

Yes, the printer does have a sensor that scans the paper even during printing and stops if it detects printed areas, holes on the paper and anything other that pure clean paper.

Once I was running some tests and decided to reprint over a partially printed sheet. It loaded correctly and printed a few inches until the sensor found the printed area, when the printer stopped and returned an error message.

I don't know if the sensor can be disabled. Sorry. 

turner-tom

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:48:42 pm »

Hi Geraldo,

Thanks for the comment. I'll keep you posted on anything else that I find out.

Tom

bgphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »

My Epson 9800 did the same!

Quite a while back I was trying to conserve paper and turned the page around 180 degrees. When the page got to the printed area I got an error.

I believe that the sensor works off of a reflectance value from the white paper, so you might try taping a piece of white paper over the hole where the sensor is.

I could be wrong, so try at your own risk!

jferrari

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:32:52 pm »

I believe that the sensor works off of a reflectance value from the white paper, so you might try taping a piece of white paper over the hole where the sensor is.

That same sensor is also used for edge detection so that the printer knows what size paper you are printing on. So, I don't think that taping a piece of white paper over the sensor would work.      - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:05 am »

Hi Guys,
I am searching for a way to print individual color channels on top of each other on my Canon IPF8400. I would like to print the Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black color channels separately.

Just out of curiosity: why?

Jeremy

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:14 am »

You could try the same with the image facing another direction on the sheet. Check what the head carriage (and by that sensors) motions are when the sheet loading is done. Another approach is a larger sheet so more white area for the sheet detection process. What I recall of Epson models, optical sensors are also beneath the sheet's path so should not give problems if there is no black print at the backside. That configuration may have changed on more recent models. Canon's system I'm not familiar with. My HP Z's have a mechanical switch in the sheet insert path and an infra-red sensor on the head carriage which is less alarmed by preprinted areas than the Epson were. Some months ago I printed 8 successive runs on one sheet of Arches etching paper. An artist's rainbow experiment where I predicted it would not sell (brown rainbow) and it did not sell, sometimes conceptual art should not go beyond the idea. Let me guess, an educational job or poor man's proofing sheets?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Pages: [1]   Go Up