Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTB: drum for Howtek 4500 drum scanner  (Read 2356 times)

brbo

WTB: drum for Howtek 4500 drum scanner
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:23 pm »

Looking for a drum for my new Howtek 4500 scanner. The two of mine that came with the scanner are not in a particularly good condition (crazing after only a short time contact with Kami or even just tape left on it for a longer time). Which is a shame since the scanner itself is working pretty well.

I don't intend to scan bigger than 4x5", so the whole surface of the drum doesn't need to be scratch free. I would settle for a usable area to scan a strip (6 frames) of 35mm / 3 x 6x6 / 1 or 2 4x5.

Anyone willing to sell a drum or know where to get one please PM me.

Thanks!

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: WTB: drum for Howtek 4500 drum scanner
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:32:50 pm »

I had a Howtek HR8000 for years and used Prazio for supplies and drum reconditioning. Highly recommended.

Another source is Aztek, which bought out Howtek. They may have a lead on a drum.

Another source is Bob Weber, Inc. who deals in all things pre-press/press/proofing. For the most accurate info, you'll have to contact him.
~ CB

brbo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:22:47 am »

Chris,

Thank you for the link to Bob Weber's web.

I've been in contact with Evan from Aztek and he's really been helpful. They intend to do a run for a batch of new drums but the price is really probably out of the question for me (I'm just an amateur and can't really justify the expense). He suggested using oil or gel products.

Now I've ordered some from SDS (and they've also been very helpful). I've explained my situation to them and they suggested I use their "Anti Newton Oil THICK" fluid and offered to include samples of the other fluids they are selling so I can decide which works best for me. I've heard that SDS fluids are the same that Prazio is selling in the US.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:38:03 am »

When I began drum scanning in the late 1990s, I tried every method known. Mounting "gel", heavy oil, spray powder (talc) mounting (i.e., dry mounting), taping just the film, overlays, thick oil, thin oil, you name it. The first day I had a mess on my hands, was stoned on cleaning fluid vapors, and it took all day just to scan a couple slides. Within 6 months I was scanning 4-5 full drums per day using batch scanning techniques (setting input parameters for each image; no global settings). 20-30 35mm pieces of film mounted, 12 medium format pieces, 4 4x5 pieces were all no problem (and, of course, 1 8x10 chrome if needed). My point: drum scanning full drums of film is far more efficient than other methods of scanning (e.g., Imacon, flat bed, copy camera).

The method: I used the anti-newton fluid from Prazio and full-drum overlays. Even if I was scanning only one piece of film, I'd use this method. It was fast and eliminated 95% of the dust particles. The anti-newton fluid evaporated (not as fast as Kami, which is known to cause crazing on some drums) which made cleaning the films & drums very easy.

SDS rings a bell, but I never used them. I can't remember if they're associated with Prazio or not. I would buy tape, overlays, wipes, mounting fluid and cleaner by the case from Prazio and their prices & shipping terms were great. Even from Canada, not a problem.

Regarding the crazing on your drum, it can be localized or cover the entire drum, depending on what caused it. If it's global, then even if you can't see it, it can cause the drum to be less than 100% clear and ruin all your scans. Hold each drum up to a very hard light source and look very closely at it. If it looks frosty, then get it lathed & polished or replaced.
~ CB

brbo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:10:44 pm »

I'm from EU. I've read that Prazio in US is rebranded SDS. Don't know if it's true, though. Prazio's catalogue does read very much like the one from SDS.

Crazing on my drums can be seen when I put the drums agains the light. It's also visible on the scan in bright parts of the scan. I can polish most of it out, do a scan and it's ok but it will eventually come back.

I see that Prazio is offering drum reconditioning (SDS doesn't do this anymore). Anyone have had a drum refurbished by them?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:57:00 pm »

Ah, that explains why SDS wasn't on my radar, and why Bob Weber Inc. may not work for you.

In c.2004 I had a drum reconditioned by Prazio. An assistant who was working for me nicked a drum with a blade while removing tape. The nick was deep (almost a gouge). I sent the drum to Prazio, they lathed the drum and polished it. Cost was about US$200 with all shipping included.

Does anyone in the EU sell/service ICG scanners? They may be able to help.

Also, this group is a fantastic source for all things scan-related.
~ CB

brbo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »

I've already posted a WTB ad in Yahoo ScanHi-End Group. Maybe I should post another thread that I'm looking for a refurbishing option in EU.

So, the whole drum was refurbished (or just one part) and it's still just as good as before? I'll send an email to Prazio and see what my options are...
Pages: [1]   Go Up