Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowstone in Winter  (Read 13555 times)

MasonJarr

Yellowstone in Winter
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:56:55 pm »

This being the first year the park has offered permits for "self-guided" snowmobile trips, a buddy was lucky enough to draw one through the lottery.  He has asked if I'd be interested in going on the trip and of course I said yes.  I've been to Yellowstone many times, but never in the winter.  Our permit is only for one day.  We can enter at 8am and must be out by 9pm.  We'll enter through the west gate.  Since I don't have much time to scout, I'd be interested in hearing from others who've been there in the winter and which points would be recommended for photography.  I also need to keep my kit fairly small (maybe two lenses), so would be open to suggestions on which lenses to include.  I have the following choices for my Nikon D810:

14-24 f/28
16-35 f/4
50 f/1.4
70-200 f/2.8 (with a 1.7 teleconverter)
85 f/1.4
105 Macro f/2.8

Thanks for any ideas.

MasonJarr

Re: Yellowstone in Winter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:49:16 am »

Leaving on the 21st.  Currently at 193 views.  I know someone's been to Yellowstone in winter.  I've seen the photos.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:37:38 pm »

Well Mason - you've seen the photos and you know what you like to shoot...  
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

MasonJarr

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:51:56 pm »

Yes, that's true.  I'm not looking for "stand in this spot and face east" type of input.  But having never been there in the winter I don't know if the falls are frozen, if you can get down the trail to them, if one mud pot has better access than another, where the wildlife is congregating, etc.  I have 13 hours in the park....on a snowmobile.  I thought I'd see if someone could help narrow it down a little.  Other people ask these type of questions and people post replies.  But, thanks for your input.  It was helpful.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:18:18 pm »

If I were you, I'd take 16-35/4 and 70-200/2.8 (with 1.7x). You'd pretty much cover it all with that. 70-200/4 would be even handier, but you've got what you've got. Depending the type of photography you do, a tripod might be useful as well.

MasonJarr

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »

Thank you, Slobodan.  I was leaning towards those, two.  I might bring along the 50 or 85, also.  I'll know how much room I'll have after I get packed up.  We have to carry some mandatory safety equipment and that'll limit my camera gear.  I really like my 14-24, but it takes up a lot of room in the bag.

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »

You should be able to get some nice closeups of the bison walking the roads.  :-)

Later,
Johnny

MasonJarr

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »

I sure hope so, Johnny.  That's one of the main images I want to get.  In one of the videos we had to watch to get our certificate, the bison seemed to be fairly close to the roads.  Of course, we can't take the machines off the groomed trails.  And I expect the snow to be too deep to walk out very far, so I'm definitely bring my telephoto and converter.  I lived in Wyoming for 4 years and now live in Idaho, so I've been to Yellowstone quite a few times....just never in the winter.  It's such a large park, 13 hours will be gone quickly.  Thanks for your reply!

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:47:40 pm »

I don't think that you'll have a problem getting closeups of Bison. They tend to walk the plowed roads in the winter because it's much easier than walking through the snow banks.

Later,
Johnny

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:51:12 am »

... 13 hours will be gone quickly.

It's 13 hours more than I'm ever likely to have there, so don't knock it  ;)

I'm very jealous

Piboy

• http://samwardphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:16 am »

I just returned from 10 days in the park.  West entrance to Madison Junction(Warming hut there posts recent wildlife sightings) along river(Bobcat lives near 7 mile bridge) then up to Hayden Valley and Yellowstone lake would be my advice. You may then be able to get down to Old Faithful and Geyser basins then back out. Lamar Valley area near Mammoth is not open to snowmobiles as roads are maintained during the day for traffic(Worth a drive if you have extra time as most my work was done in Lamar). Getting closeups of Bison and Coyote should not be difficult.  Fox, bobcat, and wolves require much patience and stalking.  I'd recommend mostly landscapes with animals framed in for interest. I did 70% of my shooting with Tamron 150-600 on FF canon.  The rest was split mostly up with a 24-70 and 70-200.
Finally, I am an avid snowmobiler in upstate New York.  Speed limit in park is 35 mph. and hopefully you have the quietest 4 stroke available unless renting.  The guides all used quiet 4 stroke SKIDoo ACEs and Arctic Cats.
Have a great trip.
Sam
Some of my pics are found here if interested
samwardphoto.com/yellowstone
Sam W.
samwardphoto.com

MasonJarr

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:18 am »

Thank you so much, Sam.  This is exactly what I was hoping for when I made this post.  We're renting the machines so I know they meet the specs for use in the park.  I am planning  to drive in a separate vehicle from the others so I can stay for a few days longer and do some photographing.  I appreciate your reply!!

MasonJarr

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 06:12:09 pm »

Maybe next year.  The park called my friend today to tell him the snowmobile trips have been cancelled due to a lack of snow.  I'm thinking about going still to see if I can get a ride in one of the tour coaches or drive my truck into the park.  It's only about 5 hours from where I live.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 06:29:27 pm »

Mountain biking... Snow is bunk here in Cali too.  Rough life, great for getting up mountains in the back country.  I'm planning a 1000 island lake ascent in late March, which normally would be unheard of.  Hopefully there's still snow to make it interesting up there... or better yet, lightning!  Although it's above the tree line...  :o  Sam, awesome photographs, I love the one with the stag trees burned and sticking up, it brings me back to the burn zones in Oregon on the PCT.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Piboy

• http://samwardphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »

Thanks Maddogmurph.  Sorry Mason to hear about lack of snow.  Hope you pull a lottery ticket next year.
Sam
Sam W.
samwardphoto.com

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:08 pm »

I've shot Yellowstone in the winter on a snowmobile.  You need to get up early, prepare to be cold and as far as lenses <35mm    70-200mm and at least a 300mm.  The Bison stay close to the road, for the most part but the landscapes are amazing and you will need some reach as well.  I would strongly recommend something less than 20mm but that is just me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up