Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner about paper and driver.  (Read 754 times)

Erland

Beginner about paper and driver.
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:35:16 am »

Good Day!
Ok, I'm Swedish so bare with me if my English isn't top notch.

I'm fairly new on the subject of inkjet printing. However I work as a Technician on printers, both high volume printing (transaction, afp, IPDS) and color laser printers, both continuous and sheet feeds, and somewhat into color management (you could wake me 5 in the morning asking me about relative, perceptual, RGB vs CMYK, using and creating profiles etc and I could answer it all).

Bought a new to me Epson 1400 just to play with, print some photos etc.
Why an Epson Photo 1400? Just because its Dye ink, and I love how it's almost non-bronzing on glossy paper. But after reading some on this forum and others, I realized I have to coat my prints with some kind of varnish or UV protection if it's going to last as long as I want.

Discovering this, I got both glossy and matt UV protection from Ghiant, and some Epson Luster paper so that it doesn't stick to the glass in the frame.
Since I haven't received my spray cans with coating yet, I was wondering in the meantime which of them you are supposed to use on Luster paper. I reckon there is a satin spray as well, however I couldn't find any on the website I was purchasing from.

Secondly, Though I am getting amazing colors right of the bat, using photoshop, using it's color management with the appropriate profile, I was wondering what, if any changes the paper chosen in the driver makes on the outcome?

Perhaps you people with amazing knowledge could help a young fellow?

Kind Regards!
Marcus

Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

hugowolf

Re: Beginner about paper and driver.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:27 am »

... Secondly, Though I am getting amazing colors right of the bat, using photoshop, using it's color management with the appropriate profile, I was wondering what, if any changes the paper chosen in the driver makes on the outcome?

The media type chosen in the driver's dialog determines paper thickness, platen gap, paper feed adjust, and most importantly, the amount of ink that goes down: more ink on lustre than glossy, and more ink on art paper than plain paper. All or some of these can be modified and saved as a custom paper/media type.

On a pigment ink printer, the media type would also determine whether photo black or matte black is used.

Brian A

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:14 am »

Further, the canned profiles from Epson were built using the media settings for those papers. I suspect you'd get inferior output using the profile without the matching media setting. If you build your own, you can experiment with the media settings and build the custom profile over that behavior.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Erland

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:25:37 pm »

Ok, I will continue matching the correct paper in both PS and the driver then. Thanks!
Tried printing on a thicker kodak paper earlier, and it was a bit tricky to get it to feed at all, and just remembered I chose epson Art, which I think is around 200gr. Can explain why!

Any experience regarding coating luster paper with either glossy or matt?
Will try building my own profiles next week. Been lending my i1 Pro 2 to a customer last week, but ought to get it back this Monday.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.
Pages: [1]   Go Up