Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thom Hogan on declining camera sales  (Read 116857 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Thom Hogan on declining camera sales
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2015, 04:26:41 pm »

If we are one upping, the I bought a Asus 696 Pocket PC in 1995 that other than not making phone calls, was more functional than an iPhone 6!
Really? Give us some examples then.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dwswager

« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:42 pm »

Really? Give us some examples then.

It had a real, accessible file system that you could even mount network drives. 

BJL

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:45 pm »

Some think of DropBox as the network drive for iOS. (Why Apple has neither bought nor Sherlocked DropBox is a mystery to me.)

P. S. I suppose that iCloud now tries to be a cloud-based "network drive" for iOS.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:36:43 pm by BJL »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:34 pm »

And it didn't display any advertisements.

BJL

« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2015, 03:32:30 pm »

And it didn't display any advertisements.

I haven't noticed my iPhone displaying advertisements, except when I browse to websites or apps that do so.  Are you trying to make a virtue out of the absence of web-browsers on the Pocket PCs, or the fact they in their era, the internet had not been transformed into an advertising supported medium?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2015, 06:59:42 pm »

Nah, I wasn't serious. I just don't use any of those little yellow funnicons.

dwswager

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:07 pm »

Some think of DropBox as the network drive for iOS. (Why Apple has neither bought nor Sherlocked DropBox is a mystery to me.)

P. S. I suppose that iCloud now tries to be a cloud-based "network drive" for iOS.

Far afield, but yes, I use various cloud drives with my Android phone.  But not what I meant, even my current droid is not as functional as my pocketpc was directly out of the box.  

Simple exercise....drag and drop 1GB of music to an iPhone.  Simple on a PocketPC, Simple on a Droid...impossible on an iPhone! 

[ADDED] I should add that the iPhone was designed to be simple and consistent with the iPod Touch and in that regard it was well executed.  It was never intended to be a fully functional 'computer' as the PocketPC was.  The old joke was "If Steve Jobs wanted you to be able to do that, it would have been in there!" Too bad Microsoft was not so forward thinking as to turn the PocketPC into a phone like Apple did and that it took them 3 years too long to figure that out!  Full Disclosure I am a former long time holder of MSFT stock and a continuing long time holder of AAPL stock.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:56:17 am by dwswager »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2015, 06:25:00 pm »

Far afield, but yes, I use various cloud drives with my Android phone.  But not what I meant, even my current droid is not as functional as my pocketpc was directly out of the box.  

Simple exercise....drag and drop 1GB of music to an iPhone.  Simple on a PocketPC, Simple on a Droid...impossible on an iPhone!  
Funny as I can add the music I want to my iPhone/iPad really very easily. In fact using iTunes and playlists, in particular smart playlists is a far far superior method to a file browser based method of organising music. The fact that I can't do it the old way is not even an issue. What is an issue is that some DJ software does not not maintain my playlist hierarchy grrrr! DJing being something else you couldn't do on your 'superior' more functional antique device.  :P
BTW - my music is all in neat folders on my hard drive done using a file browser. But for organising, finding and collating files databases like iTunes [or LR for images] are far better.  Also there are several file manager apps for the iOS.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:41:38 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

MarkL

« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »

Nikon has released the financial statements for the past year, sales are down 15% and income down 12%.

http://nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/index.htm#y2015
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up