Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow on Hadrian's Wall  (Read 6091 times)

stamper

Re: Snow on Hadrian's Wall
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 09:22:15 am »

Generally speaking when shooting snow a +1 EV is needed? As long as you don't over expose then it is better than grey?

beebibi

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:52 am »

Ken, my favorite is definitely #2 - the tonal range of the snow is ok by me - the stark reality of the first snow - the grasses gamely peaking out of the snow in the foreground leading to the scraggy little tree in the middle ground and the bleak cold background scene - great atmosphere :)

Best Bee

KMRennie

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:41 am »

I can't answer for anyone else but in #1476, the first Sycamore gap shot. The foreground snow had an L value of approx 60 and that is pretty grey when I reworked it the L value was in the mid to high 80s. The original was shot with exp comp of +1. It was this low as I was shooting into the light. 1518 was +2.33 and 1551 was +2. I bracket every time (in RAW) I shoot but the Fuji XE-1 only has +/- 1 stop when bracketing and only +/- 2 stops of exposure compenstation any more than this requires manual exposure. I check the histogram of the middle shot but usually end up using the shot 1 stop more exposed and pull the highlights back. I hope this helps anyone. On an oblique topic why do some photographers refer to checking their shot, surely a prudent move, as chimping which strikes me as deliberately insulting? Beebbibi I too prefer the scraggy little tree shot and have just printed it on mat paper and it looks like a very nice pencil drawing.
Ken

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 11:59:14 am »

...from which grey-scale value does grey becoming white in your judgement?

I honestly do not know. I usually do not "paint by numbers." It is more, as you suggested, a visual judgment during post processing . Depending of the time of day, weather conditions, angle of sun, etc. snow can be blindingly white (in which case something around 250-252 might be appropriate, with some specular highlights blown perhaps), or more or less gray. It is not that snow can not be presented as gray, it is more that the grayness should match the overall mood.

My comment about gray snow as my pet peeve comes more from seeing too many underexposed shots by people who think that modern, oh, so sophisticated cameras and their metering systems can not possibly go wrong (this isn't directed to the OP, btw) and let automatic exposure handle the snow. As most of us here know, that isn't the case, as any built-in meter is designed to deliver "proper" exposure under assumption that the subject is medium gray. Using a hand-held, incident light meter, gray card, or simply overexposing by one or two f/stops, usually results in a more agreeable snow.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:01:37 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 03:47:30 pm »

Michael Freeman says (I think) the snow in sunshine should be at 235-245.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:49:12 pm by muntanela »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up