Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTB: Best camera setup for Fine Art Repro? Scanning backs? High MegPixel DSLR?  (Read 1127 times)

fineartprint-nz

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and from browsing around here, there are some super knowledgeable people about and we are trying to find out the ideal scenario for fine art digital capture. We are a small print studio here in NZ with an Epson 7900 and an Epson 9900 printers. We use Eizo monitors with a colour managed workflow using x-rite i1Pro2 publish.

When in the USA we had art work captured from a 8K HS BetterLight digital scanning back and the results were truly amazing, best I have ever seen really. However, being down this end of the world means that this sort of equipment starts to skyrocket in price once gone thru this persons hand to that persons hand etc and then duties and gst and all that wonderful guff gets added afterwards just to find out that you have paid a house deposit of 50k or more on a camera!

All jokes aside, what would be the most cost effective solution (camera or scanning back wise) for us as a small fine art print studio to get going with something decent? I know that with a scanning back you seem to have to buy a camera body as well to connect the thing up to, what would suffice in this case?  Not knowing too much about these details, would someone here please assist us with as much advice as possible because we need to find a solution here.

We have access to a huge Cruse CS185 Large Format Scanner in the city here but when getting scans back of say an original oil painting with lots of glazing work on it, the scan picks up microscopic bits of dust etc by the millions that is trapped between the layers of the oil painting glazing and this shows very clearly in the scan. I have asked to have the lighting changed but this is not possible for some reason.

Anyways, enough said for now, there is a myriad of questions we have about all this and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks All :)

-Barrie

acmdude

Barrie, just came across your message.  I am putting together an ad to sell my BetterLight 6000-HS with USB2 controller and all cables, Lithium Ion battery to run it in the field, the PS4 Pano/Wide View Adapter and my Linhof Technica 4x5 camera with 75mm, 90mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses.  Everything is in like new, beautiful condition.  I'm 79 and can't handle packing this kind of stuff around any more, so want to sell it and give it a good home.  Let me know if you're still interested and I'll contact you off-forum and discuss details.

Angelo Micheletti
Bend, OR

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

Mate, I am using a Hasselblad H3DII-31. Great results.
I profiled the camera but the result was that it didn't really need it. The colour out of the camera was that good.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

fineartprint-nz

Hi Angelo,

Yes I would be interested in the BetterLight 6000-HS, can you please supply me with some images of it in its current state and all that goes with it?

Also, it will depend on how much you are asking for it too. How old is it as well please.

Thanks for letting me know that you have a 6K-HS available Angelo. We are really looking for the 8K-HS model but then again I will consider your setup. We have freight, border taxes, GST, import duties and all sorts of guff on our end to deal with as well so will have to take all of that into account too mate.

Looking forward to hearing back from you :)

Kind regards,
Barrie

acmdude

Barrie, I'll put something together today.  Do you want it on the forum or by email?  If by email, please send yours to me:  acmdude@me.com

Angelo

BradSmith

Use the search function here to find prior threads.  One that I remember talked about a movable easel that a photographer built so that with his camera fixed, he could move the artwork up, down, right, left to stitch without moving his camera or having to deal with uneven lighting.

I also seem to remember that many felt that the current high MP DSLR's worked well for this purpose.

Brad

BobDavid

The Nikon D810 is good. If you are copying half-tones, you may need to work around moire issues. But otherwise that and the Nikkor 60mm G lens are fine for copying artwork.
Pages: [1]   Go Up