Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF8400 Profile Question  (Read 2636 times)

tr4driver

Canon iPF8400 Profile Question
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:07:24 am »

Greetings,

I've had a iPF8400 for about a month now and have mostly been printing on canvas roll media from Breathing Color and Harman using profiles that they supplied for the specific media.  So far I've been very pleased with the results.  I also have some Canon 13 x 19 cut sheets, Photo Paper Pro Platinum and Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss, that I would like to use; however, I'm a little confused by the fact that Canon does not seem to have profiles for these papers bundled with the iPF8400, or if they are, they aren't named the same.  When printing on the these papers with my Canon Pro-100, the Canon papers are an available selection in the printer setup menu.  Not so with the iPF8400, which seems to only supply settings for roll media types.  Is there a built-in setting that would be appropriate for these cut sheets, or would I need to have to have a custom profile?

Thanks,

Kurt

I.T. Supplies

Re: Canon iPF8400 Profile Question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:16:35 pm »

Kurt,

The printers won't stock the fine art brands (Canson, Harman, Moab, Hahnemuhle, etc) in their drivers.  These you would need to get from the manufacturer directly, download it and have Canon's MCT (Media Configuration Tool) install the profiles to your computer.  If you want to do it yourself, you're more than welcome, but the MCT will install drivers with a click of a button for you.  Canon will only provide their product profiles when you install the drivers (same with Epson and HP with their drivers).  This process will also be the same with Breathing Color, Atlex (Simply Elegant line), LexJet (Sunset line), etc. since these are house brand products.

You would either acquire these fine art or house brand profiles and install them to match the colors properly, or use a the match thru Canon's drivers.

Hope this helps.

Atlex.com

tr4driver

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:51 pm »

Kurt,

The printers won't stock the fine art brands (Canson, Harman, Moab, Hahnemuhle, etc) in their drivers.  These you would need to get from the manufacturer directly, download it and have Canon's MCT (Media Configuration Tool) install the profiles to your computer.  If you want to do it yourself, you're more than welcome, but the MCT will install drivers with a click of a button for you.  Canon will only provide their product profiles when you install the drivers (same with Epson and HP with their drivers).  This process will also be the same with Breathing Color, Atlex (Simply Elegant line), LexJet (Sunset line), etc. since these are house brand products.

You would either acquire these fine art or house brand profiles and install them to match the colors properly, or use a the match thru Canon's drivers.

Hope this helps.

Atlex.com

Sorry... I probably wasn't clear.  I understand that Canon will not supply profiles for third party media.  I was referring to actual Canon media.  It appears that there are profiles installed for most of their media available on roll, but not the cut sheets (Photo Paper Pro Platinum and Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss for example).  Are you suggesting that these profiles (for the Canon cut sheet media) are available through the MCT?  I don't have access to the printer right now, but will investigate further in the morning.

Thanks,

Kurt

stockjock

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »

Sorry... I probably wasn't clear.  I understand that Canon will not supply profiles for third party media.  I was referring to actual Canon media.  It appears that there are profiles installed for most of their media available on roll, but not the cut sheets (Photo Paper Pro Platinum and Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss for example).  Are you suggesting that these profiles (for the Canon cut sheet media) are available through the MCT?  I don't have access to the printer right now, but will investigate further in the morning.

Thanks,

Kurt

I believe the Canon papers you cited are specifically designed for Canon's dye printers while the iPF8400 is a pigment printer.  But you might see what sort of results you get simply using similar profiles on the iPF8400, for example use the Premium Semi Glossy 2 profile for the Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss etc. etc.

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:00 pm »

I believe the Canon papers you cited are specifically designed for Canon's dye printers while the iPF8400 is a pigment printer.  ...

It is a sheet vs roll thing, not a dye vs pigment thing. The Canon Pro 1 and Pro 10 have the profiles and direct driver dialog support.

Brian A
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:17:14 am by hugowolf »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:52 pm »

. . . Canon does not seem to have profiles for these papers bundled with the iPF8400 . . .

Have you checked here?
~ CB

tr4driver

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:49:25 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up