Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on failed import in Lightroom 4.4 question...?  (Read 2531 times)

KarenM

Help on failed import in Lightroom 4.4 question...?
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:47:55 pm »

I just tried to upload a slew of recent photos from a Sony RX 100 into Lightroom, version 4.4.

It's been awhile since I used LR, and the import effort defaulted to an Apple Memory Card reader. Instead of the most recent photos on the camera, it eventually began downloading photos already in my LR catalogue from 2012.

I elected not to go choose the Adobe subscription model when it came out, to stick with 4.4. There is enough Adobe stuff on my computer, and I am paranoid enough about the company, to think they somehow may have detected my older version and are rendering it's import function inoperable unless I update the software via current subscription model.

Am I being realistic, or, am I doing something wrong within LR 4.4 that I cannot remember? It used to just immediately import the photos on the camera once I turned it on.

Or, could it be some necessary update of a Sony-for-Adobe software I'm not aware of?

I've loved this site forever, since learning 'White Sky Blues', and hope someone here is human enough to help.

Thanks,
Karen

CoyoteButtes

Re: Help on failed import in Lightroom 4.4 question...?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

Karen,

I'm hesitant to offer advice as I am using Lightroom 5.7, but I would recommend that you carefully review all the settings on the Import dialog box to ensure you have the correct source selected to import from.

I did reply to say that I was one of the biggest complainers when Adobe introduced the subscription model. And now that I have surrendered and get the $9.95/mo subscription for Lightroom and Photoshop I am very happy with it. I did have to change my Adobe password one time - at their suggestion. But otherwise I am happy with the subscription model for photographers. There are great new features in Photoshop CC 2014, and Lightroom 6 should be out pretty soon.

For what it's worth...

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:29 pm »

There is no conspiracy from Adobe and you can continue using your LR version 4.4 forever (it might not support recent cameras)

When you import, you have to check the following, regardless of the defaults:

Source: Where are located your images (Top left in the import dialogue)
Action to be performed (Add, Copy, Move, etc) in the center-top of the dialogue
File handling (top right): In your case, tick the box "Don't import Suspected Duplicates"
Destination (for options different than "Add") in the bottom right

Additionally you might want to add keywords, render previews, etc.

What might have happened is that your duplicated images were in different paths and LR did not recognize it (That's why you need to click on "Don't import Suspected Duplicates"

Regards,

KarenM

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:27 pm »

Thanks to both responders.

I need to update status. This is a bit complicated:

Before posting here, I had cancelled the slow, non-LR import process (Canon Image processor took over the importing, calling it generically, Memory Card Reader). Hence, without realizing it, I'd let Canon software do half the job, slower than molasses in the arctic, before stopping it midstream, thinking it was not going to get to my recent photos.

I NOW see that about half the recent photos WERE downloaded, but NOT by the LR import process.

Now, about half the photos are still on the Sony card. When I select File>Import Photos And Video, that option is grayed out, not selectable.

I then tried File>Auto Import, but on THAT dialogue box, the Enable Auto Import box was also grayed out, unable to be selected.

Do I have to be someplace other than the Library Module to access these import settings?

Any ideas?

Karen

P.S. Thanks for reassurance about the subscription model. I fear them incrementally raising the price.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:16:35 am »

If it were me, I would do two things:

First, I would put the card in a card reader, and manually copy *all* photos from the card to a folder on my computer. Then I'd check the folder using the Finder app or the file browser, and make sure all the photos I wanted were inside. At this point I might also delete any old photos that I did not want from the folder. In the meantime, hold onto the card and don't format or re-use it.

Then, in Lightroom, I would find the folder where LR has partially imported these photos and remove the folder from Lightroom (right-click the folder name). Then I would point LR at the new folder that I manually imported* and have it import from there, following the suggestions above.

*if you have a specific folder structure, make sure the new folder is in it.

Finally, as far as I know LR 5 is still available as a stand-alone product, i.e., not as part of the CC subscription. So you could upgrade if needed. I put it off, but finally decided that the Photographer's subscription for $10/month made sense for me, and it has been working well.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

KarenM

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:09:17 pm »

Ken, thank you so much for your suggestion. I'll work on that this afternoon and report back.

Best,
Karen

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »

Karen,

Lightroom is available under normal license and also as part of the Photoshop CC subscription model. Now Lightroom 6 is coming although Adobe has not set a date yet of availability they recently announced the OS requirements which you can find here https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/01/update-on-os-support-for-next-version-of-lightroom.html

So I would advise you to wait for the new version before upgrading. You can try Lightroom 5 for free but only for 30 days and I suspect that LR6 will come later than this. As far as I remember going from LR4 to LR5 required a catalog upgrade so you can't go back to LR4 if you choose to use the trial version of LR5.

You can always copy the files from the memory card using the operating system and copy them to where you want them and then import into Lightroom later. If you do that remember to choose the Add from the import dialogue and navigate to the folder where you copied the files to in the left hand panel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up