Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting help wanted  (Read 1770 times)

wmchauncey

Lighting help wanted
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:32:57 pm »

Picked up a tulip plant at the grocery store with five bloom...the funky blooms caught my eye.
The first one has reflected light from walls and ceiling...the second one has added both side lighting...suggestions anyone?

The things you do for yourself die with

mbaginy

Re: Lighting help wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:07 pm »

Two more fine flower images!

I prefer the first but would like to have the tip of the leaf removed.  I also like the warmer lighting.

Maybe the background of the second shot is a bit too in focus?

Nice shots!

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:52 am »

I like the first image and the warm, soft light. The light in the second (to my eye) is harsh and cold, which doesn't flatter the subject. These are just my opinions, after all.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:58 pm »

Play with it.

If you have a flash, try it. Get the flash away from the camera. If you have a flashlight, use it. A match or a candle? Give them a try. See what makes for you a compelling image and work with it.

W. Eugene Smith spoke to a camera club group many years ago. For them, the latest rage was "available light" photography. They asked Smith what he thought about this concept and how he did it. Smith told them that he used "available light" photography all the time. He used whatever light was available to him at the time, flash bulbs, electronic flash, flash lights, flood lights…

Play with the light with no agenda. Simply work with it and have a blast!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 01:48:19 pm »

Tulips are tough. Whit ones are even tougher. My first suggestion would be to have the flowers backlit against a window, or something light, delicate, and out of focus. That way the picture will have some depth. If you use natural light, a white bounce card may be all that is required for fill. Or you can use strobe. I don't think a black background works--it really deadens the subject. Maybe subtle out-of-focus greenery? Finally, the tulip, or any flower for that matter, should be fresh and exhibit not a single imperfection (or at least one that isn't able to be fixed in post). I once went through over 100 fresh flowers until I found the one that looked perfect to the camera. If you are just starting out with botanicals, I suggest trying lilies first.

wmchauncey

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »

I've been playing with orchids quite a bit but this white plant caught my eye...have done a lot of white stuff (egrets/snow/whatnot).
The second one looks "clinical" as I boosted the detail during my putzing around in PS CC.  Was shooting tethered so I could play
with the lighting in real time using various LED lights, never occurred to me to use a candle.    :-[
The things you do for yourself die with
Pages: [1]   Go Up