Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Travel with tripod?  (Read 8706 times)

James Clark

Re: Air Travel with tripod?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 08:47:33 am »

Thanks everyone for the responses. Since I'm traveling fairly light, I think I'll go with carrying the RRS head in my pack & putting the legs inside my suitcase. Gonna have to get a bit larger suitcase, and a hard one at that!

I have painful memories of the bad old days, traveling with an assortment of ATA-style cases stuffed with view camera & grip equipment. So I'm not tempted to get a shipping case for the tripod.

I can't imagine getting thru TSA carrying a tripod, but once I saw someone in a terminal (Southwest?) walking around with a little tripod - I almost fell over.

John

Was probably me ;)

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 06:58:01 am »

I've flown several times with a tripod strapped to my photo backpack as a carry on.
Never a comment from TSA or airline, a monopod on the other hand won't get by check in counter on the pack, it must go in checked luggage.
Good luck

Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 09:50:37 am »

Their statement is that if it looks like a club needs to be checked in.

dwswager

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 10:08:01 am »

Their statement is that if it looks like a club needs to be checked in.

Repeat...Every airport, Airline, TSA agent will have a different standard.  Some tripods (System 5 Gitzos, Benbos, Uniloc) because of size look more intimidating than others.  I would think you would have more luck strapped to a backpack or in a separate case to carry on and carrying it like a club in your hands.  My standard, at least in the U.S., is if I can get it through Reagan National, I'm probably good to go at most places.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up