Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on shipping - Should I remove the print heads and ink cartridges?  (Read 815 times)

artreddin

I'll be shipping a used HP z3200ps 44" from Texas to southern Mexico. It's a long, heavy beast but what I'm more worried about is the chance of ink spilling en route, on sometimes rough roads, and ending up with cleanup bills.

What say you? Should I just leave everything intact but plastic wrapped? Or better to pull and ziplock-bag the cartridges and printheads? What do I do with the tube assembly? BTW, I haven't seen the machine yet... just flying on a wing and a prayer.

I.T. Supplies

Re: advice on shipping - Should I remove the print heads and ink cartridges?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:08 pm »

If you will be tilting it when moving, it would be best to remove the inks and purge it from the print heads so it doesn't spill.  When the printer is standing up along transit, it shouldn't be a problem, but it's safe to have it removed.

Contacting HP would also be good to make sure that all necessary steps are taken properly.
800-474-6836

chez

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »

I'll be shipping a used HP z3200ps 44" from Texas to southern Mexico. It's a long, heavy beast but what I'm more worried about is the chance of ink spilling en route, on sometimes rough roads, and ending up with cleanup bills.

What say you? Should I just leave everything intact but plastic wrapped? Or better to pull and ziplock-bag the cartridges and printheads? What do I do with the tube assembly? BTW, I haven't seen the machine yet... just flying on a wing and a prayer.

I had one used printer shipped and another I picked it up in my truck and moved it 300 miles. Each time I left the ink cartridges in tacked. The unit that was shipped to me was strapped soundly to a pallet so it was always left standing straight up. That is how I suggest you have your printer shipped. The one I brought home in my truck, I took it off it's stand and laid it flat onto the deck of my truck in it's upright position.

harry

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »

Yeah, I have moved them with the inks in them no problem as well.

Also, I take the printer off the stand, put a packing blanket or two in the bed of the truck put the printer in, cover it with more packing blankets and strap it in well.
It's not as big a deal once it's been set up.

Now if you are having it moved for you, strap tightly to pallet and let it go.  All that motion might be good for the print cartridges and heads...

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up