Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Lightroom and Capture One Workflow  (Read 4062 times)

JNHenry

Help with Lightroom and Capture One Workflow
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:18:45 am »

Hi all,

I’ve been trying out Capture One Pro 8 and really like how it processes some of my RAW files.  However, I’m a long time Lightroom user and don’t see myself giving up the cataloging, keywording, printing functions of LR.  So, I need to find a way to integrate CO into my current LR workflow.

I’ve searched online to see how others have integrated the two programs into a workflow.  It seems the typical approach is to import everything into LR, cull the images, export selects from LR as original RAW, import those RAW files into CO and process, then export from CO as a TIFF and import back into LR.  I’ve tried this over the past few weeks, and it works.  But, seems clunky and also results in additional copies of RAW files.

I’m thinking through another possible approach, and wanted to run it by the experts here.  Here’s what I’m thinking:

- Import all images into LR, copying RAW images into a specific folder on the hard drive. Review, flag the selects, keyword, etc.  Then save metadata to XMP sidecars.
     - Open Capture One and import all images that were just imported into LR.  Believe I can just add the folder where the images reside on the hard (same folder LR put the files). 
     - Have Capture One read the XMP files to get flags, keyword, etc.  Process RAW images that were previously selected in LR.
     - Export images processed in Capture One as a TIFF, and import that TIFF into LR.

Here’s my questions for the experts out there:

- Is it dangerous or ill advised to have both LR and CO looking at the same folders for raw files?

- To reduce chances of problems have both LR and CO looking at the same folders of RAW files, is it possible to prevent Capture One from writing metadata?  I’m thinking that the reading/writing of metadata might be the biggest potential problem of my plan.  But, I would only want LR to write metadata, and would only want Capture One to read metadata.

Appreciate any thoughts people familiar with Capture One might have. 

Thanks,

Jeff

Jimmy D Uptain

Re: Help with Lightroom and Capture One Workflow
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:06:29 am »

I have never had issues with LR and C1 sharing the "Originals" folder.

Thats all I have to offer.

Sorry

ario

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:00 am »

- Is it dangerous or ill advised to have both LR and CO looking at the same folders for raw files?

This is what I do and never had any problem. I have LR catalog and CO catalogs (and a presently frozen Aperture library) referring to the same image folders

- To reduce chances of problems have both LR and CO looking at the same folders of RAW files, is it possible to prevent Capture One from writing metadata?  I’m thinking that the reading/writing of metadata might be the biggest potential problem of my plan.  But, I would only want LR to write metadata, and would only want Capture One to read metadata.

CO and LR will write on XMP only is specifically instructed to do so

JNHenry

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »

Jimmy, ario,

Thanks for your replies.  Will give it a try and see what happens (hopefully nothing).

Cheers,

Jeff

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 06:12:56 pm »

Jeff

I am also using the same (reference) images stored on a Drobo 5D for both Lightroom & Capture One Pro with no issues.

Stu

David Medina

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:35:18 pm »

I am no expert on either, there should be no issue because each program stores what it does in its own catalog/ side car.  the only problem I can think of is if you decide to export LR data into a side car which may over write what you did in C1.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 05:44:05 am »

There may be one thing y'all need to look at. It occurred to me yesterday.
I haven't had my coffee so I don't want to fool with experimenting with it yet.
Anyway, when one deletes an image from one application, the thumbnail in the other application may still be present.
Pages: [1]   Go Up