Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happen to Canson pricing?  (Read 10755 times)

disneytoy

Re: What happen to Canson pricing?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:51 am »

That is crazy, they know this and still sell the paper.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 11:37:20 am »

This is what I've been trying to tell to Hahnemuhle.
I have a printed picture on PR308, mounted and framed in the same way I just did for this job 3 years ago, and the print is absolutely fine!
But they were telling me it was just my luck since the air pollution problem is getting worse in China, and the humidity changed alot in our region, that might gonna speed up the yellowing problem.
Well, what else can I do, they're keep telling me that Rag paper is extremely sensetive. I was living in NY for over 10 years and used PR308 for quite some time as well and never had a single problem like this. Maybe our "Chinese" air is just as bad as it is......

Yellowing on the borders is, usually, due to exposition to acid atmosphere. Some of the alkaline buffer on the paper border is reacting to the acidic contaminant and turning yellow. It is funny that this type of contamination usually happens on the border as the front and the back of the papers are more "sealed" due to the press and coating of the manufacturing process. Sometimes the yellowing is reversible removing the print from the contaminated environment and exposing it to (no kidding) sunlight! It will probably "eat" some years of the longevity, but may be the only option sometimes.

If I had to guess, I would probably discard the atmospheric pollution as a cause and would look closely to the enclosed environment of the framed package. One different glue or mounting board on this batch can be the cause. I would definitely sort it out before redoing the work as it may very well happen again even with other paper brand.

Once I saw a single print turn yellow in a matter of days while in exposition alongside with other prints made on the same paper (from the same roll) and framed at the same time by the same framer. It was the only print of the expo that was hanging on a specific wall that had just been laminated with wood (for the expo). The vapors of the contact glue used on the wall managed to get into the frame and contaminated the print. The paper was Canson Rag Photographique if I remember correctly.

Please keep us posted.

aaronchan

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

Since I don't have too much time to do any testing (Chinese New Year is coming and the work has to be shipped out by the middle of March), I will just redo those has turned yellow, which is about 1/3 - 1/2 of them. I have no choice.

We do have our framing department as well. We do everything in-house and use everything imported, nothing was made in China besides our man power ;D We test most of our material when they first arrived to our warehouse. We use pH pen to test most of them to make sure our supplier didn't send us any non-acid free supplies.

Yes, I do think is by the air pollution, I have nothing else to blame on. We will buy a few air purifers to make sure our printing, mounting and finishing rooms are clean. BUT, it was just a few days, like what I've said, it shouldn't happen in that quick. Or I should say thank god they happened that quick and didn't happened 3 weeks after our client has it on their wall.

aaron

John Caldwell

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 02:41:55 pm »

I have a printed picture on PR308, mounted and framed in the same way I just did for this job 3 years ago, and the print is absolutely fine!
But they were telling me it was just my luck since the air pollution problem is getting worse in China, and the humidity changed alot in our region, that might gonna speed up the yellowing problem…

aaron

Your "old" PR 308 print, Aaron: Is that print stored outside of China? Is is truly exposed to conditions different from those conditions which are turning the "new" PR 308 prints yellow? Doesn't sound right unless the storage atmospheres are considerably different.

John-

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:43:56 pm by John Caldwell »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 06:36:29 pm »

Aaron, you might be interested in this: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/ctype.KB/it.I/id.5570/KB.67618/.f

Perhaps bleaching the prints in sunlight might work.

aaronchan

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:47 pm »

Aaron, you might be interested in this: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/ctype.KB/it.I/id.5570/KB.67618/.f

Perhaps bleaching the prints in sunlight might work.

This is great to know,  will try this today!

hugowolf

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 11:28:08 pm »

Clay coatings are not necessarily kaolin? But perhaps I am usng the wrong term, pardon me. Miles Hecker's palatine review (http://www.wyofoto.com/Canson_Platine_review.html) says Canson uses 'fine white silica'.

Whatever it is, the paper when cut leaves a great deal of paper dust, like shards.

It is white carbon black

Brian A

samueljohnchia

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 02:03:30 am »

This is great to know,  will try this today!

Hope it helps! I had an entire shipment of Canson matte paper (BFK rives, rag photographique, edition etching, velin etc) where the roll turned quite yellow on the outside. I think any excessive concentrations of sulphur or ozone would accelerated yellowing, and also perhaps any VOCs outgassing.

Please let us know if the sun bleaching works out for you? It helped somewhat for me, but I only left them out in the sun for a minute or two instead of a few hours. I didn't have anything precious printed yet so I just snipped away the first couple of inches
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:06:44 am by samueljohnchia »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:23 am »

It is white carbon black

Brian A

That's great to know, invaluable knowledge, thanks!

deanwork

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:32 am »

Yes it sounds like air pollution.

There have been a lot of reports of the Hahenemuhle papers turning "pee yellow" in the white areas when exposed to acidic compounds of all kinds. But as someone already mentioned most people have reversed this by exposing the prints to daylight. I assume a uv light would also work for this.

Actually everyone I know who has worked with Photorag in the last decade has experienced this situation at least once. Some from exposure to even small amounts of masking tape in the packaging the prints were wrapped in, someone had a an entire well crafted limited edition portfolio turn yellow in the borders. Some had the problem from storing prints in wooden flat files,etc. It seems like I am the only one I know who has never experienced this at all, and I've been using these papers weekly for about 15 years. It freaks you out when there a whole body of work to be delivered shows this discoloration.

I haven't heard reports of any of the Canson media doing this, but it's possible they could show the same effects.

The amount of sulfur compounds in the air in China's big cities is off the charts. I know of people who complain about eyes burning and lungs being choked up just walking down the street in Beijing on a good day. There is an architect who had designed mult-million dollar enclosed bubbles so little children can play outside at school, otherwise it is unsafe. All this coal burning is just about the worst thing you could subject a print to. If you find bits of coal particles in your hair then there is no telling what prints are being exposed to. I assume everything must be sprayed front and back and hopefully framed, but even then it is going to leach in eventually. Kind of defeats the purpose of non-acid materials and stable inks doesn't it?

I just hope to God that this world can find ways of generating power from the sun before it's too late for the next generation, much less the prints.

John

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:10 am »

Promote it as genuine Beijing Yellow Carbon Patina.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 12:44:27 pm »

But they were telling me it was just my luck since the air pollution problem is getting worse in China, and the humidity changed alot in our region, that might gonna speed up the yellowing problem.
Well, what else can I do, they're keep telling me that Rag paper is extremely sensetive. I was living in NY for over 10 years and used PR308 for quite some time as well and never had a single problem like this. Maybe our "Chinese" air is just as bad as it is......

aaron

And you are quite sure that all the materials that come in contact with the paper is absolutely acid free? We've seen the same problem with a job that we printed, an edition of about 500 prints. It was stored in envelopes that was supposed to be acid free, but wasn't. We took them out of their envelopes and after a week in fresh, Swedish air ;-) the yellow stain disappeared.

deanwork

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »

You have to also realize these inkjet receptor coatings attract pollution like a magnet. I believe Wilhelm realized this over a decade ago and was one of the reasons they developed that Premier Art coating.

The good news is that most of the cases of this that I've heard of were solved by exposing them to daylight. You do have to worry about what kind of chemicals are in mounting materials though. I tried to get some very high-end new york labs to tell me what exactly was in the adhesive they were using for diabond mounting was and they could never tell me. If you do a Google search about them you'll end up more confused than when you started.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up