Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Fast wide - angel lens for Olympus  (Read 6232 times)

henk

Looking for Fast wide - angel lens for Olympus
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »

In a few weeks I will go to Norway to photograph the Aurora- borealis. The only fast wide-angle lens that I have is the Olympus 12-40 2.8 lens. Seeking a faster lens with a wider angle but can not find it. Any suggestions for a good wide-angle lens of 7, 8 or 9 mm and 2.8 or faster?
Use OMD M1 and M 5
Thans, Henk

degrub

Re: Looking for Fast wide - angel lens for Olympus
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:00 pm »

The Zuiko D 14-35 f/2 is the best fast lens. You need a mmf3 adapter.  The 12mm oly f/2 is not as good, but a decent lens. The only faster wide lenses i know of are the Voigtlander Noctirons at f/0.95, but the widest is 17 mm i think. There is 10.5 in the works.
There may be a Rokinon/Samyang ultra wide, but not fast.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:25:07 pm by degrub »

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:30 am »

There is a Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 - which is barely half a stop slower. I am presuming you want the wider aperture for faster shutter speeds? How fast do you want to go? With the E-M1/E-M5 you should be able to go to ISO 1600 with no real problems.

SZRitter

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:53:18 am »

There is a Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 - which is barely half a stop slower. I am presuming you want the wider aperture for faster shutter speeds? How fast do you want to go? With the E-M1/E-M5 you should be able to go to ISO 1600 with no real problems.

Be aware that it is a fisheye lens. Yes, you can de-fish it, but whether or not that works for you, is, well, a personal choice.

As far as rectilinear wides, the only that I am aware of are the Panny 7-14mm and Oly 9-18mm. I personally have no experience with either, so I cannot give an opinion on them. Nor are they any faster than f2.8. You could also try something like a 20mm F-mount lens with a Speed Booster, but I'm not sure what the final quality would be.

Geods

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:18:12 pm »

I'm not sure it will be out by your departure date, but this lens may be of interest:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083960-REG/voigtlander_nokton_10_5mm_for_0_95.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK#inpage:Shipping+:++$

The latest rumor indicates it will be $1,200 Euros.

henk

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 05:25:55 pm »

Be aware that it is a fisheye lens. Yes, you can de-fish it, but whether or not that works for you, is, well, a personal choice.

As far as rectilinear wides, the only that I am aware of are the Panny 7-14mm and Oly 9-18mm. I personally have no experience with either, so I cannot give an opinion on them. Nor are they any faster than f2.8. You could also try something like a 20mm F-mount lens with a Speed Booster, but I'm not sure what the final quality would be.

Thans for the response. I own both the Oly and the Panny and these are slow! these rangen in 2.8 would be perfect but not available. The Nokton is coming close nut to late! I am leaving in 2 weeks. If the conditions are bad than i have to use the 12 - 40 2.8 . At good light condition i can use the wide angle.
Henk
Pages: [1]   Go Up