Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLASH COMPENSATION  (Read 2469 times)

Andres Bonilla

FLASH COMPENSATION
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:57:15 pm »

Hi, another newbie question..my Rebel has two modes for flash compensation, in one you lock the flash exposure on a subject via the * buttom, the other is a flash compensation via the menu and you define how many stops under or over you want. What would be the difference? If I have a backlit subject with a nice natural hair light would I use the second choice to open up the shadows in the face? I used to measure the subjects face but depending in the background sometimes I blew the highlights. What if I have someone against a window and the iris difference is several stops, would I use the flash at + 2 or 3 stops?

Thanks,

Andres

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
FLASH COMPENSATION
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:50:34 pm »

By no means am I trying to diminish the need for answers to all the studio/portrait/lighting posts we have seen lately...

I would just like to point out the this site tends to collect the interests of photographers that work outdoors in available light.

That doesn't mean that those of us that choose to respond and help do not have valuable advice to offer, but folks posing these questions should realize that there are other forums that tend to have much greater "studio" participation.

Rob Galbraith's and Fred Miranda's sites are both much more general purpose, thus cover these interest more often in the forum.

I welcome these topics because of my historic attachment to studio work. I am sure some others do as well. I'm just mentioning that you might get faster responses at Galbraith or Miranda.

In any event, the forums at dpreview, can safely be ignored due to the "cowboy" effect.

Hi, another newbie question..my Rebel has two modes for flash compensation, in one you lock the flash exposure on a subject via the * buttom, the other is a flash compensation via the menu and you define how many stops under or over you want. What would be the difference? If I have a backlit subject with a nice natural hair light would I use the second choice to open up the shadows in the face? I used to measure the subjects face but depending in the background sometimes I blew the highlights. What if I have someone against a window and the iris difference is several stops, would I use the flash at + 2 or 3 stops?

Thanks,

Andres
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Andres Bonilla

FLASH COMPENSATION
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 09:20:25 pm »

Ahh, hum thanks... I was about to post at the Fred Miranda site, sometimes it is best to multipost since all you may get is the " wrong forum " aswer or the spelling correction input, in any event I am going to South America Friday morning so I figure I would also post it here. Hopefully I won't get send to the Renderosity forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up