Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7rII 50Mpix?  (Read 5868 times)

NancyP

Re: Sony A7rII 50Mpix?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:03 am »

Interesting times. There's the usual rumor of a high MP Canon DSLR too. If it had good DR, I'd prefer that to the Sony, due liking the hand feel of the Canons, and due to having lots of Canon EF mount lenses.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:11:02 pm »

Interesting times. There's the usual rumor of a high MP Canon DSLR too. If it had good DR, I'd prefer that to the Sony, due liking the hand feel of the Canons, and due to having lots of Canon EF mount lenses.

Exactly my position but I just can't get excited about the Canon rumor. On Sony's, everything is possible. That's why they are the best thing that happenned to photography since the 1Ds.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:29:07 pm »

IF you believe the chatter on the rumour sites, Sony, Nikon and Canon are all going to have the same 50 some-odd megapixel sensor in their own bodies.
Then the only thing we'll have to argue about is who makes the sexiest body... ;D

gazwas

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:03:30 am »

A little OT but I wonder if Canon does use a Sony 53mpix chip in their high-res body what reaction Phase One will have updating Capture One for file and tether support? Will the new Canon become like the Pentax 654Z and be too much of a threat to the IQ250/150 and their partnership with Sony?

Mot being able to tether into C1 would swing me to the Sony for sure.......
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

CptZar

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:54 am »

There is some info over at canonrumors.com

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/01/a-sony-canon-sensor-partnership-mentioned-again-cr1/

Sony would control all of the sensor market. That could prove to be an excellent company strategy.

orc73

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:23 am »

Great steps in technology.
Just be aware sony will release unfinished products and instead of fixing the firmware they will make you buy the follow up model.
Pitty. I really like the lenses.

JV

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 09:12:53 am »

Just be aware sony will release unfinished products and instead of fixing the firmware they will make you buy the follow up model.

That "might" have been true for the A7 and the A7R.  I don't believe that is still true for the A7s and A7II.

I own the A7S.  It is a fairly mature product.

Pitty. I really like the lenses.

Compared to other mirrorless solutions (Fuji and m43) the lenses are presently Sony's weakest point.

I am talking E-mount here.  I have no experience with the A-mount lenses.

shadowblade

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 09:23:00 am »

That "might" have been true for the A7 and the A7R.  I don't believe that is still true for the A7s and A7II.

I own the A7S.  It is a fairly mature product.

Compared to other mirrorless solutions (Fuji and m43) the lenses are presently Sony's weakest point.

I am talking E-mount here.  I have no experience with the A-mount lenses.

Sony can get around their weakness in lenses by building a body that can AF any lens effectively.

It's not particularly difficult, since a lens only has a few functions ('move forward' and 'move backwards'), with focus being determined entirely in-body, independent of the lens. And Sigma et al. already reverse-engineer in the other direction, making their lenses compatible with many different bodies with the only difference being the flange distance and the position of the electrodes on the mount.

That way, they get the benefit of everyone's lens lineups while risking less by not having to move into an area (optics) in which they have little experience. After all, Sony are primarily an electronics company.

torger

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:59 am »

While I prefer a Sony sensor in a high MP Canon camera ahead of yet another DR flop (which would just be a massive disappointment in a high MP body coming out today), it's a bit sad if Sony is going to totally own all high resolution cameras, both 135 and medium format.

It would be nice with at least one competitor that could reach the same level, but right now there isn't.

In practical photography DR is not everything though (I know, I shoot CCD...), but in making a camera of this type popular among the consumers DR is just as important as the megapixel count.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:46:18 am by torger »

dwswager

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:03:29 am »

While I prefer a Sony sensor in a high MP Canon camera ahead of yet another DR flop (which would just be a massive disappointment in a high MP body coming out today), it's a bit sad if Sony is going to totally own all high resolution cameras, both 135 and medium format.

It would be nice with at least one competitor that could reach the same level, but right now there isn't.

Yes, for Canon to release a 36-50MP camera that does not improve their DR at base ISO would be disappointing.  I almost switched back to Canon while Nikon went through their mediocre period figuring that since Nikon couldn't control the most important element of DSLR, Canon had the advantage.  That turned out backwards.

In practical photography DR is not everything though (I know, I shoot CCD...), but in making a camera of this type popular among the consumers DR is just as important as the megapixel count.

It's not the only thing, but a big thing.  The problem for Canon has been that not only are they lagging at low ISO DR, but it is also easier to pull clean shadow detail from the Sony sensors.  That is a bad double whammy.

It is interesting to note that what makes a camera good for great out of camera images (consumer market and others that need simplicity or immediacy) versus great images for significant post production, can be diametrically opposed. 

BJL

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:58:49 am »

There is some info over at canonrumors.com
http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/01/a-sony-canon-sensor-partnership-mentioned-again-cr1/
To quote the linked article "Take this with a salt truck."  Or read that site's definition of a "CR1" rumor rating.

At this cluster of rumor sites that use a suspiciously similar five point rumor rating scale, 4 or 5 seems to be fairly reliable, and maybe as low as 3 has some value, but a rating of 1 is just link-bait on slow day.

orc73

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:55 pm »

I do have the a99 - a-mount lenses are excellent.
And I also have the rx-1r, also excellent lense, great image quality, crap AF, focus peaking is also not usable and could have been fixed with a firmware update. no single firmware update ever came for the "r" if I'm right there was only one for the rx. Then look at fuji introducing peaking to cameras, which were not sold with that feature.

Petrus

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:20:02 pm »

Sony would control all of the sensor market. That could prove to be an excellent company strategy.

Samsung has recently started selling a 28 MPix APS-C camera with their own sensor (all specs are amazing). There might be tough competition coming from unexpected directions...
Pages: [1]   Go Up