Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable storage revisited  (Read 23282 times)

water1

Portable storage revisited
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:28:45 am »

Portable storage is becoming highly affordable and somewhat pedestrian. The box stores are offering up 2 TB in the same isles as batteries these days. Its hard to resist the offerings, but do they solve the purpose of a reliable travel solution for quick storage on the road? Trying to bridge the cost/benefit of dumping cards quickly into a device without the need for viewing/editing, are there reliable solutions?
What is the least, simplest to take on the road and still assume images will be there when you get back home?

FredAz

Re: Portable storage revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:13 am »

More memory cards....

Don't touch the images.
And for heavens sake, don't load them on "rotating media" then erase your cards....

The safest, simplest thing is to not do anything....

IMHO....
Flash is cheap, lightweight and reliable....

brntoki

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:57:49 pm »

More memory cards....

Don't touch the images.
And for heavens sake, don't load them on "rotating media" then erase your cards....

IMHO....

Do you mean, then, compact flash? And does that mean you Do Not trust SD cards? Just for clarity.

FredAz

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:08 am »

Flash is the type of memory contained in CF, SD, XQD, etc....

Moving images adds risk....why touch them?
Moving images to an SSD (another type of flash) is OK, but again, why touch them?
Moving images to rotating media is very risky in the media is easily damaged.

Take the memory cards from the camera and put them in a safe place.
Unload them in the piece and quiet of your home after the trip.

chez

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:56 pm »

More memory cards....

Don't touch the images.

IMHO....

To be safe, I always have two copies of my images when traveling, one on the original card, the other on those horrible "rotating media". Having only one copy of my images is just too much risk for me when it is so cheap to have two copies of all images.

chez

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »

Flash is the type of memory contained in CF, SD, XQD, etc....

Moving images adds risk....why touch them?
Moving images to an SSD (another type of flash) is OK, but again, why touch them?
Moving images to rotating media is very risky in the media is easily damaged.

Take the memory cards from the camera and put them in a safe place.
Unload them in the piece and quiet of your home after the trip.

What's a "safe place" when you are traveling for a month on the road?

And I'd say there is much more risk in having a single copy of an image than any risk associated with copying the images off the card onto another media...so you have a redundant copy.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:11:58 am »

What's a "safe place" when you are traveling for a month on the road?

And I'd say there is much more risk in having a single copy of an image than any risk associated with copying the images off the card onto another media...so you have a redundant copy.
I don't do much traveling but one thing worth considering is copying to the cloud if where you are staying has fast Internet service.  Certainly every hotel that I've stayed at in Europe in recent years has good Internet connectivity.  Assuming you are just uploading RAW files this might be doable.  Of course it's predicated on having a computer with a card reader when traveling.  What would be really cool is to have a dedicated small device that can do this.  I still would not delete images from any card until I arrived home.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:10:55 pm »

My last 3 week trip was a mix of about 60% landscape and 40% bird photography and it generated about 800MB of files. It would take over $1500 in CF cards to store just one copy of each file, not to mention keeping track of them all. Keeping duplicate copies, which I think is a requirement, doubles the cost and number of cards. Of course no one knows how many photos they'll capture over that period of time, so you have to have a lot more cards than you'll ever need to avoid running out, which would be terrible. How many cards are enough?

I carry more CF cards than I'll ever need for a couple days of shooting, and copy the ones I've used to two portable hard drives daily, or nearly so. After that I erase the CF cards for reuse. I take all reasonable precautions with the portable drives but they have endured countless miles of air travel, tropical heat and humidity, freezing temperatures, and vibrating and banging down dirt roads. Perhaps I've been lucky, but in 12 years I've never had a portable drive fail, let alone both of them at the same time. Keeping files on a single hard drive is certainly not safe, but the likelihood of two drives failing simultaneously is incredibly small. If one does fail it's not hard to find another and re-backup the files, though getting to a store could sometimes take a few days. I also take some other precautions, like not keeping both drives in the same bag, and my wife and I often carry one each when we fly.

If the capacity needed isn't too large and you can keep duplicates of each CF card I think it could be a good way to store files while on the road. CF cards are far more durable than rotating media but they are still subject to corruption, electronic problems, loss, and theft. I don't think having just one copy of any file is a good idea regardless of the media being used. OTOH, keeping a single copy of files on CF cards could be a reasonable and economical approach if you are shooting for just a few days, or in circumstances like backpacking where weight and bulk must be kept to an absolute minimum. In those cases the files can be backed up to multiple locations ASAP afterward.
- Dean

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:19:51 am »

Portable hard drives are a good solution as Dean notes.  I just checked prices and you can buy a 1TB USB portable HD for $65.  You still would need a card reader and computer to download the files though a Chromebook or Surface computer would be lightweight and might work well for this.  As SSD prices come down, they might be an option as well.  At present 1TB drives are in the $400 price range.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 08:42:06 pm »

I just returned from a three day shoot and have completed my backup of the images. After each day of shooting I will go through the images and delete unusable shots whether out of focus, framing or exposure and make sure that I have them on two drives, I do not format cards until this happens. I particularly like the GTechnology mini drives which are USB powered and I've never had a problem with them over that last ten years.

cmburns

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 07:48:21 am »

It depends on how much storage you need IMO. I've done several multi-month trips where I generate over 1TB of photos and video. For those I take 4 Western Digital portable 2tb drives. I make 3 copies and one is a spare that I have music, tv shows, etc. on but that I would erase if one of the other drives went bad. This used to happen to me regularly, but hasn't in several years. So maybe the drives are more robust these days. Why 3 copies? If/when one goes bad you'll be plenty nervous only having one copy.

Each day I dump my flash cards from each camera onto my SSD drive sporting laptop. I make a folder like
2014-10-10 Petra 5D3W
The W is for Wide and is from my camera with the wide glass, I have another for L for long lens. I have one for each camera, pocket camera, cell phone, you name it. If I see multiple sites in a day I try to make a folder for each one, though that doesn't always happen. This makes it possible for me to quickly drill down through my archive and quickly find what I need even without keywording my photos.

I used to cull photos daily before backing up, but it takes so long to back them up, the most I do now is quickly go through and pick a few selects that I might show to travel companions, or upload to social media. Most places in the world have horrible internet, especially upload speed, so backing up to the cloud is only possible with your top selects.

I then copy my photos from the laptop to my 3 drives, then delete all but the selects from the laptop. Next I ALWAYS have 1 of those drives with me, on my person when I leave the hotel room. Typically it's in my pants or shorts pocket. Maid robs the hotel room, or a thief, or hotel burns down, or bombed, or floods etc. you still have your pictures with you. Of course if you get robbed you lose a copy, but in my mind there's less chance of that than something happening in the room. If you have a companion, for instance my wife, she carries one drive in her bag and I do leave one in the hotel, preferably in a safe, unless it's a travel day. On a travel day I still keep one drive in my pocket, then the others in a backpack, but not together. Yes it's easy to stack them together, but if there's a shock or something bad that's going to hurt one drive, it could well damage both. Even different parts of the same bag is better than together. If I'm going to be going somewhere in a boat I put at least one drive in a ziploc sandwich bag. Scoff if you will but if you get late in a big trip, have a month or more of your life stored on this little thing, are on some 3rd world ferry or tiny canoe somewhere, you'll start wishing you had a simple ziploc bag.

Now if it's a smaller trip to a safe part of the world where it is all going to fit on my laptop SSD drive, then I leave it on my laptop, and make 1 backup copy to a portable SSD drive. I then keep that SSD drive with me at all times. Those are starting to get cheaper all the time. They're also smaller and lighter than traditional portable hard drives as well as faster. A few more generation and they'll be over 1TB and much cheaper and I can ditch rotating media forever, but not yet for a big trip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up