Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadows slider artifacts  (Read 1488 times)

AFairley

Shadows slider artifacts
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »

I've run into some artifacting using the shadows slider in LR (latest version, 5.7) at a high contrast boundary in a D800E file.  I'd seen it before in Fuji X-E2 files, but thought it was just part of Lightroom not playing nice with files from the X-Trans sensor.  First time I've noticed it with a D800E file.

I'm posting a reference resize of the whole image (slightly cropped with some keystoning correction) with no exposure adjustments, and below a composite, showing a 100% crop at various exposure adjustments (info in each picture).  See how much artifacting there is along the left edge of the jacket in the shadow adjustment image (yes I know 90 is cranking it up pretty high, its to show the issue, and I can see this kind of artifacting even down around 50).  But if you just crank up the overall exposure to match the jacket more or less you don't get the artifacting (of course you've blown out the whole image).  Out of curiosity I tried boosting exposure and dragging down highlights and whites to recover the lighter areas, and while you can avoid artifacts doing this the whole image looks pretty crappy as you might expect.  Sharpening makes the artifacting look worse, but its still there without sharpening (only blurry).  The images in the composite are sharpened at my default starting point of 60/0.5/35/35, the last image is a crop of the Shadows +90 with no sharpening.

Any ideas why this happens?

BTW, the crops are full-size no export sharpening exports from LR cropped and assembled in Photoshop.  Things get even uglier if you print them from Lightroom, even at low output sharpening.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:16:36 pm by AFairley »

Iluvmycam

Re: Shadows slider artifacts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:41:15 pm »

Look...

#1  There is only so much you can push this stuff before it falls apart.

#2  I'd be thrilled to have your problems with my pushed files. Look what I have to deal with. (Both Fuji X)

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/108384062824

http://rangefindercamera.tumblr.com/image/108383739969

#3  I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but that pix is not anything to worry about or even save unless it has some sentimental value to you. Just snapshot material from my viewpoint.

#4 Digital is not film. Film gave us clean blacks....digital does not.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:43:12 pm by iluvmycam »
Pages: [1]   Go Up