Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoFlow, a new open source RAW editor  (Read 96444 times)

DrRAW

Re: PhotoFlow, a new open source RAW editor
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 11:44:09 am »

Your webpage URL is stuffed. (i.e. the "webpage" link from your blog).

Thanks! I've fixed the link.

DrRAW

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 02:05:59 pm »

I'm getting nothing on opening D800E NEFs. I guess I'm out.  ???

I have tried to open ARW and DNG files with no result.  (OSX 10.10)

If your photoflow window looks like the first attached screenshot, it is "kind of normal" (but certainly ugly and buggy, something I've fixed in the upcoming version). The reason is that when a RAW file is opened, there is by default no processing applied, just a mere decoding and conversion into a grayscale image corresponding to the bayer pattern.

In order to properly process a RAW image, one needs to add a "RAW developer" layer, which will allow to adjust all the common parameters like the white balance, exposure, color matching, etc...
All details are explained here: http://photoflowblog.blogspot.fr/2014/09/tutorial-how-to-process-raw-image-in.html
The RAW developer settings can be saved into one or more presets, to be easily re-applied to other images.

The second screenshot shows a Sony A7 II ARW file opened with the forthcoming photoflow version available for OSX (the current version has wrong output colors), using the default "RAW developer" settings. As you can see, the file is handled correctly...

Nikon D800 files should also be processed correctly once a "RAW developer" layer is properly added. Moreover, for Nikon cameras there is a rather simple way to exactly match the colors of the in-camera JPegs (or those produced with Capture NX-D). Again, the details are explained in the blog: http://photoflowblog.blogspot.fr/2014/09/tutorial-how-to-match-nikon-in-camera.html

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:14:19 pm by DrRAW »

ario

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »

Yes, what I am getting is similar to the first screenshot, both with ARW and DNG (Leica) files: raws and columns of gray dots on a white screen.

DrRAW

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »

Yes, what I am getting is similar to the first screenshot, both with ARW and DNG (Leica) files: raws and columns of gray dots on a white screen.

Then my solution should work: click on the "+" button below the layer list to add a new layer, choose the "RAW developer" from the second tab, and wait a bit for the program to cache the preview image data... it should work.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:41 pm »

Doesn't recognise my D810 raws.

ario

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 11:30:57 pm »

Fuji X-Trans files are not supported.

DrRAW

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 06:23:05 am »

Doesn't recognise my D810 raws.

I've just released new binary versions for osx and windows, which provide better support for new cameras (including the D810). Here are the download links:
windows: http://aferrero2707.github.io/PhotoFlow/#downloading-and-compiling-windows
osx: http://aferrero2707.github.io/PhotoFlow/#downloading-and-compiling-osx

With a bit of work to extract the camera ICC profiles from Capture NX-D, you should be able to get exactly the same color output as the camera jpegs, if you want to.

DrRAW

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 01:37:44 am »

Fuji X-Trans files are not supported.

X-Trans support is not yet implemented, but planned in the near future.

DrRAW

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »

New PhotoFlow binary versions for Windows and OSX are available for download:
http://aferrero2707.github.io/PhotoFlow/#downloading-and-compiling-windows
http://aferrero2707.github.io/PhotoFlow/#downloading-and-compiling-osx

The main changes are:
- Fix of a serious bug in the freehand drawing tool
- The program now warns the user when closing an image with unsaved modifications (see here: https://plus.google.com/112083183053602237219/posts/UGC7FdccWii)
- Crash recovery (see here: https://plus.google.com/112083183053602237219/posts/Kyi2SN6V8js)

Updated Ubuntu packages are also available from Dariusz Duma's PPA: https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway

Lundberg02

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 01:31:46 am »

I opened the May 3 version (0503?). I couldn't get it to do much. I opened my user folder but it would not show, much less open any images from Pictures Folder on my Mac. So I picked a jpg that was listed below the folder, the Printer Test Image. This opened, but I was unable to find any way to do anything with it. I clicked on something that was next to the listed image in the right hand window and it gave me a window in which I could select a different type of adjustment layer. I selected vivid color but nothing happened. I wasn't able to find any curves window or anything else. Then of course, Quit PhotoFlow doesn't work. I had to force quit. All these things were true of the previous version. If this app is to be useful it needs to be less opaque or have at least a photo flow for dummies help.  Right now it is completely unusable for me. I have every photo app there is and this is totally non intuitive.

DrRAW

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:54 pm »

I opened the May 3 version (0503?). I couldn't get it to do much. I opened my user folder but it would not show, much less open any images from Pictures Folder on my Mac. So I picked a jpg that was listed below the folder, the Printer Test Image.

This is really strange... I'm on OSX myself (10.9.5) and I have no issues to access the Pictures folder... which OSX version are you using?

This opened, but I was unable to find any way to do anything with it. I clicked on something that was next to the listed image in the right hand window and it gave me a window in which I could select a different type of adjustment layer. I selected vivid color but nothing happened. I wasn't able to find any curves window or anything else.

I have few tutorials and screencasts already available, to show the basic usage:
http://photoflowblog.blogspot.fr/2014/09/tutorial-how-to-process-raw-image-in.html
http://photoflowblog.blogspot.fr/2014/09/tutorial-using-curves-tool-in-photoflow.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiBN3wXa6fs

Right now it is completely unusable for me. I have every photo app there is and this is totally non intuitive.

The project is very young, and for the moment it somehow reflects the "habits" and personal view of its author... this happens quite often with new open source projects. And this is why I'm looking for users feedback. What is intuitive for me clearly isn't for others...

Lundberg02

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 08:51:45 pm »

I'm running OS 10.9.5. I will read your tutorials and see if I can grasp the underlying concept, which appears to be very layer oriented like PhotoLine. Thanks for your quick response, and I certainly appreciate the effort you are putting into this.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:53:47 pm by Lundberg02 »

smahn

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »

I appreciate the effort too, but I also have tried the program several times and always end up running away in frustration.

On e thought is to have some default layers or groups in place with default settings upon the opening of an image.

Exposure/Color/Detail/Output is a common theme.

If the interface were essentially Raw Therapee with layers I'd be ecstatic.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:02:40 pm by smahn »

DrRAW

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 08:46:13 am »

I appreciate the effort too, but I also have tried the program several times and always end up running away in frustration.

On e thought is to have some default layers or groups in place with default settings upon the opening of an image.

Exposure/Color/Detail/Output is a common theme.

If the interface were essentially Raw Therapee with layers I'd be ecstatic.

The initial idea I had in mind when I started the project was to implement a GUI more similar to GIMP or Photoshop than RawTherapee, i.e. a set of tools with their own configuration dialogs instead of a side tabbed panel containing all the controls. This of course can be changed, it really depends on what possible users find more convenient.

Concerning the possibility of having a default set of tools ready upon opening an image, this can be already realized using presets. What you can do is to open a first image, add all layers and layer groups that represent your "template" edit, and then save the whole layer structure (except the background layer containing the opened image) into a "preset". Next time you open an image, you can load your "template" preset to get back all the default adjustments. Would that be an acceptable workaround? An example of how to save and reload presets is given at the end of this tutorial: http://photoflowblog.blogspot.fr/2014/09/tutorial-creating-and-using-luminosity.html

By the way, compared to RawTherapee there are some other advantages: it is possible to open more than one image at the same time, and also load two or more images as separate layers that can be blended together (for example to combine different exposures through luminosity masks).
However, there is definitely a lot of work still needed on the interface and usability...

mouse

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 03:29:57 pm »

All of the you-tube tutorials you have cited play without sound.
I assume this is not intentional.  All other you-tube videos play just fine on my win7x64, Internet Explorer or Firefox.

DrRAW

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »

All of the you-tube tutorials you have cited play without sound.
I assume this is not intentional.  All other you-tube videos play just fine on my win7x64, Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Actually this is intentional, at least for the moment... those are the first screencasts I've ever produced, and I still need to equip myself with a good voice recording system. Plus the lack of time for preparing a decent speech in english. This is not my main professional activity, and the limited spare time has to be shared between coding and tutorials preparation (screencasts and blog articles), so I need to make some compromises.

mouse

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 06:11:03 pm »

Actually this is intentional, at least for the moment... those are the first screencasts I've ever produced, and I still need to equip myself with a good voice recording system. Plus the lack of time for preparing a decent speech in english. This is not my main professional activity, and the limited spare time has to be shared between coding and tutorials preparation (screencasts and blog articles), so I need to make some compromises.

Thanks for the reply.  I will attempt to follow the "silent movie" and learn from it.

DrRAW

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »

A lot of work has been put in PhotoFlow development since my last post, including a full revoking of the GUI.
The program is not faster, more stable and with lots of new features.

The attached screenshot shows the program in action with a relatively complex edit.

Pre-compiled packages are available for OSX, Windows and Linux. See here for installation instructions and a complete changelog, or the recent blog entries to learn more about the new features.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:01:20 pm by DrRAW »

Lundberg02

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 12:05:39 am »

Thanks for the headsup. I downloaded the new version and will see if I have a better experience this time. I'll try to detail my voyage.

Lundberg02

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 12:43:35 am »

In contrast to the previous version, I was able to open an image from the Pictures folder. I got it to fill the window, and I created a new Group Layer. I then selected Lighten, but after that I was unable to affect the image in any way, although I didn't try Opacity. I expected to see some sort of slider to lighten the layer, but there was nothing. I clicked on everything clickable and nada. The zoom in and out magnifying glass doesn't do anything at all. Is there a tutorial for version 0.2.2? I don't seem to grasp the concept. The app just doesn't have any adjustments that I can find for the layers you create.  WTF?
Also, OS 10.10.5, the app still won't Quit. Had to Force Quit just like in Mavericks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up