Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baffled! Print size not coming out right  (Read 8650 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Baffled! Print size not coming out right
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:30 pm »

In your print dialog, I see you are using a “preset” called CPN, and your Lightroom settings are showing 0 margin. I have found Lightroom can get very flakey if using the printer driver presets.
Yes, never use them, always select "Default Settings" instead as this information is stored within LR in the Print Template. As you say, having a preset set can cause issues although I don't know that this is the exact cause of the OP's issue.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 03:02:36 pm »

I'll delete the preset and start fresh.  
Don't delete them as they are useful in other app's like Photoshop. Just be sure that you always use "Default Settings" specificity in LR after you setup the correct parameters in the template itself (Print Settings) seen and configurable in LR.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 07:12:19 pm »

Thanks Andrew.. I'll do that.
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »

Ok... trashed the EPSON folder, reinstalled the Drivers, left the settings at Default and just changed the parameters I needed.  The first print came out STILL at the smaller size, but the next one came out fine. I had completely shut down and restarted the computer and printers, so I don't know why the first print failed, but it appears to be working fine now. 

Thanks for all your help guys!
Mike Guilbault

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »

I had completely shut down and restarted the computer and printers, so I don't know why the first print failed, but it appears to be working fine now. 
It's possible an older print queue was still hanging around. But doesn't matter as long as it's now working OK.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »

ARGH!  I spoke too soon. As soon as I put the good paper in and tried a final print, it reverted back to the smaller size... 1/4 too small.  I'm going to call Epson, but this is just beyond my comprehension!
Mike Guilbault

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »

Have you turned off Paper Size Check in the print menu? As well as my previous comment, I never try to print borderless. it just wastes ink and relies heavily on the paper being exactly right size and not skewed.  If I want a print a certain size then I use a bigger sheet and trim it. It is cheaper in the long run.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:48 pm »

Do you have another printer, even a laser printer you can try just to check that it's the printer/driver and not Lightroom?

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 11:01:40 pm »

I don't see a Paper Size Check option in the print menu.  The problem is happening on both my 9900 and 4900, from LR, PS or even Preview (on the Mac).  I spent a couple hours with Epson on the phone this afternoon and I thought we kinda got it.  I managed to update the Firmware on the 9900, but that didn't fix anything.  We eventually tried a canned paper size rather than a custom size, the 13x19 with no description as to whether it was roll or sheet (the first option in the A3/b 13x19 print size option) The print was coming out the correct size, but it didn't print the whole image - missed about 1/2 inch at the bottom, and then printed that last 1/2 inch on the next sheet of paper!  I then tried using the 13x19 (Sheet) option - supposedly puts a .12 margin all around - and the same thing happened again.  Right size, but spread over two sheets.
So I'm still at a loss and closing in on my deadline for a print order. :(
Mike Guilbault

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:20 am »

On my 3880 it's Menu > Printer Setup > Paper Size Check > Off.
Download a free 14 trial of Mirage Print and do your job. Good luck
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Pic One

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 07:12:45 am »

Thanks Wayne... that sounds likely.  And I did print this particular image as a canvas previously and this time on Cold Press Natural. I'll delete the preset and start fresh.  I'll give it a try tomorrow when I get back into the studio.  If that fails, I'll have to reinstall the both the 9900 and 4900 drivers then, as it happened on both printers - or are they one and the same - which would explain a lot.

Maybe a stupid idea.. but is there any chance that your image has a 1/4" white border that you can't see (because it's white)?    Have you tried printing any other image?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 07:24:14 am »

Mike,  with Epson sheet prints the 1/2 inch at the bottom is normal. It will happen on all sheet prints of any size and you can't override it. LR will show the 1/2 inch in the print window.  At least on the roll printers. The 4900 may allow this to be overridden. 

Just wanted to make sure with all the other issues you knew the 1/2 was ok.

Back to your problem, the only thing I can think of is an issue with paper type selected.

Also have you tried a totally different image?  I have had a similar issue where on sheet mode my 9900 put a faint white line at the top of the print 1/2 from the top. I could print any other image with no problem but that file was corrupted. It printed fine on a friends 9900 and I never could figure it out. It was only on that one image.

Hope you get this fixed.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

AFairley

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 12:43:29 pm »

Mike,  with Epson sheet prints the 1/2 inch at the bottom is normal. It will happen on all sheet prints of any size and you can't override it. LR will show the 1/2 inch in the print window.  At least on the roll printers. The 4900 may allow this to be overridden. 

It can be overridden on the 3800 and 3880, I think I posted how above.  No idea about any other printers.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

With roll printers, 7800, to 9900 the 1/2 is a given, can't be over-ridden.  It has something to do with how the printer takes the sheet and then scans it. 

Always has to be accounted for on sheet work with these printers. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:06 pm »

Maybe a stupid idea.. but is there any chance that your image has a 1/4" white border that you can't see (because it's white)?    Have you tried printing any other image?

Not a stupid idea and I thought that may be the problem... but it wasn't that.

I tried a bunch of different 'canned' paper sizes today and it finally worked on the 13x19 (Centered) setting.  It supposedly put a .56 margin at the top and bottom, .12 on the sides... and since my image was 10.25 x 15.25 - well within the borders. It printed perfectly.  At least I got my job done!  Why this didn't work like it has for the last two years I still have no idea.

I would still like to know why this is happening, but Epson couldn't figure it out either so I probably never will.  I usually print on roll paper anyway, but for certain smaller jobs, sheets just make more sense.

Mike Guilbault

hugowolf

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 12:05:59 am »

Not a stupid idea and I thought that may be the problem... but it wasn't that.

...  It supposedly put a .56 margin at the top and bottom, .12 on the sides... and since my image was 10.25 x 15.25 - well within the borders. It printed perfectly.  At least I got my job done!  Why this didn't work like it has for the last two years I still have no idea.

It should only be 0.56" on the trailing edge, not the top, unless you have some how turned off the 3 mm setting on the printer console panel. It should be 3 mm (about an 1/8") top and both sides. There are some console settings that override driver dialog settings, and visa versa.

Brian A

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 07:58:06 am »

Selecting the paper size with only .56 on the bottom didn't work. I'll check the console panel though. Do you know where exactly I'd find that setting Brian?
Mike Guilbault

hugowolf

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:56 am »

Selecting the paper size with only .56 on the bottom didn't work. I'll check the console panel though. Do you know where exactly I'd find that setting Brian?

I can't remember, and I will not be back to my studio till late this afternoon. But if 3 mm margins have been set, it would be displayed on the console screen whenever it is ready to print or waiting for paper.

Brian A
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up