Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expired in in Epson 9890  (Read 1034 times)

disneytoy

Expired in in Epson 9890
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:36 am »

What happens if you put a cartridge in a 9890 that is past its expiration date? Will it work? i read the HP x3100 thread about expired ink preventing printer to print.

I use expired ink in an old R2400 no issues at all.

Thanks.

Maxi

Garnick

Re: Expired in in Epson 9890
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:49:04 am »

What happens if you put a cartridge in a 9890 that is past its expiration date? Will it work? i read the HP x3100 thread about expired ink preventing printer to print.

I use expired ink in an old R2400 no issues at all.

Thanks.

Maxi

I have no idea how HP handles expired carts, but I do know that expired carts are not a problem in Epson printers.  I've used them in all of my Epson printers, from the 1280, 4000, 7600(x2) and now the 9900.  The expiry date(best before date) is there to let you know that if the cart is too far past that date it could possibly be an issue.  In my case, and I'm sure with many on this forum, expired carts are the norm.  Of course if you ever require a warranty service call the first thing the tech will do is check the date on the carts and let you know that the expired ones are likely the cause of every problem you would ever encounter with the printer.  Also, if you ever have the extreme pleasure of placing a call to Epson Service that will probably be one of the first questions the tech there will ask -- expired carts?  Epson, as with all printer manufacturers, make a lot of $$$ selling ink -- enough said.  As long the cart isn't ridiculously out of date, agitate it gently and install it in the printer.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:09:12 am »

I ordered a new MK cart for my Z3100 from Hp online and it was expired by a couple of months. The printer menu tells me that it is expired but it works perfectly well. I called HP to have it replaced but it was such an ordeal to get anyone on the phone who knew anything that I finally gave up and kept using it. It's fine.

john

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:45:38 am »

Chances are you will not have any issue with inks slightly past their expiration date (within reason!).  Gently rock the cartridge and install. Expiration dates are a great way to get consumers to use/buy more frequently---it's not always a fast and firm date/rule.  That being said, I have used Epson inks much past the expiration on my old 4800 (just not used much) with no issues. 9900 is used frequently so Epson is happy with me and no issue at all with even approaching expiration dates prior to usage.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up