Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 Epson chips  (Read 3975 times)

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
3880 Epson chips
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »

I'm trying to get a set of Epson 3880 cartridge chips to use with a piezography setup. Short of cannibalising my existing carts which are still quite full, I haven't found a supplier. Does anyone know where I might get a set?
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

elo

Re: 3880 Epson chips
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:35:00 am »

Permajet sella cartridges with chips.....will also want you to buy inks

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:44:01 am »

Check ebay for empty cartridges.

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:53:56 am »

Permajet sella cartridges with chips.....will also want you to buy inks

Unfortunately, those carts also come with ink. I want to use these carts for B&W with Cone piezography inks.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:54:50 am »

Check ebay for empty cartridges.

You can buy all the carts you like on Ebay but they don't come with the chip. Refillable carts are a dicey proposition. There are good ones and ...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:04:55 am by Jeff-Grant »
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

chez

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 08:45:30 am »

Unfortunately, those carts also come with ink. I want to use these carts for B&W with Cone piezography inks.

I just bought the carts from the same place as I buy the ink.

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »

You could always replace the chips back onto the OEM carts with a small dab of clear silicone sealant if you snap the bonded tab off and clean that area up a bit.  Big pain though, and they will show low ink too much as when they were removed.

I hunted out the local college IT person and they had some 3880s used in their art classes.  The guy saved some old carts for me since they buy new OEM ones and would have tossed them out otherwise.  Might take a while to accumulate the entire set though (Took me three months to get them all.), but couldn't beat free chips.

Also, jtoolman on the dpreview.com printer forum came up with a way to hack the 3880 OEM cart for refills and reset the chip on the OEM cart as well to work as new.  Might check there as it was within the past week.  He shows the hack video in a link too.

SG

howardm

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 12:53:44 pm »

I dont think that attempting to refill the OEM carts w/ Piezo ink will work.  I would think that it'd be forever contaminated w/ the OEM color.

I save and have soldl my old chips but at the moment have none other than MK.  Talk to me in the Spring though.
I *thought* Cone did at one point sell the chips.  Maybe it was some other non-OEM ink outfit  ???

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 04:09:10 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. Reusing OEM is not an option as I'm putting a Cone B&W set of inks in. Jon Cone used to sell the chips but not any more, unfortunately. I have a 3880 for colour but I'm not a big printer so it would be a long wait to harvest my own chips. I would get a 3000 instead.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

KeithR

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:00:10 pm »

I just checked their web site and found this:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.122640/.f
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Some Guy

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:33 pm »

I just checked their web site and found this:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.122640/.f

That chip goes on top of the tiny OEM chip one also needs off the Epson OEM cart.  Those are the same ones that come with the Cone refillable carts, just that occasionally they go bad so they have them for sale rather than the full cartridge including the chip that tricks the printer to thinking it is a full cart - always.  See the Compatibility tab on them to see the info that says you need the OEM chip.  One of my colors recently failed to be recognized so I had to get another one.

Anyhoo, here is the jtoolman link to the video where he shows how to defeat the 3800/3880 OEM cart's valve and make it into a refillable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbnlJgxMV8&feature=youtu.be   No need to remove the chip, just buy the resetter tool he links too.  One could flush out the OEM ink with water and alcohol to get rid of the old ink if moving to K7.  Probably no more contamination than what is left in the hoses, dampener, PK/MK change valve, and print head.  Actually, my first K7 build used about the entire K7 ink set before the second set became clean and stable enough to get a working profile out of.  Sort of costly first fill and flush, and that was with new empty carts too.

If it were a new printer, I wouldn't even bother with the OEM K3 ink and just swap the carts, install the refillable tanks and chips (or suck out the OEM ink tanks, flush them, and fill with K7 and use the jtoolman resetter when needed.), and proceed.  Buying two 110ml sets of K7 and using one set to get the residual color inks flushed out is expensive, maybe $450 with shipping and the nine 110ml bottles.  I had contamination of yellow and magenta for a long time when doing K7.  Ink is creepy stuff.

SG

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:59 am »

Wow, that's a lot of ink to blow. My plan is to put K7 into a new printer and have it as a dedicated B&W printer. I have a 3880 for colour so the carts will be handy. I'd love to know how you go with flushing and reloading OEM carts. As you would know, IJM say that, if you load the wrong ink into a cart, it is ruined.

I just watched the YouTube video. That is not something that I am going to attempt. I'm just too clumsy to muck around with that stuff.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:23:29 am by Jeff-Grant »
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:59 am »

Just to be clear for those who may not be familiar with Piezography... Epson OEM carts are wholly different from the refillable carts that Inkjetmall.com (and others) sell.  SG, I'm not surprised you ended up using a ton of ink making those OEM carts work!  Good on you (and Jose) for being creative, but that approach is definitely not recommended by Jon Cone.

A new set of (9) designed-to-be-refillable Carts for the 3880 is $155.  It comes with one of the two chips necessary to make it work.  The second small chip - typically pried off a used OEM cart - are the one's it doesn't come with and that Jeff is looking for.

Jeff, I'm in something of the same boat, as I'm contemplating the purchase of a second set of refillable carts so I can run a second Cone inkset.  I'd love to hear of a source for those chips.  Sure wish I had saved all those old 3800/3880 OEM carts I tossed in the trash over the years!  I have a not-yet-opened set of Epson ink carts that I may end up cannibalizing, as I don't see myself returning to OEM K3.  But, man, it hurts to think of tossing $500 worth of ink!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:58:52 am by Jager »

Some Guy

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 10:37:54 am »

Just to be clear for those who may not be familiar with Piezography... Epson OEM carts are wholly different from the refillable carts that Inkjetmall.com (and others) sell.  SG, I'm not surprised you ended up using a ton of ink making those OEM carts work!  Good on you (and Jose) for being creative, but that approach is definitely not recommended by Jon Cone.

A new set of (9) designed-to-be-refillable Carts for the 3880 is $155.  It comes with one of the two chips necessary to make it work.  The second small chip - typically pried off a used OEM cart - are the one's it doesn't come with and that Jeff is looking for.

Jeff, I'm in something of the same boat, as I'm contemplating the purchase of a second set of refillable carts so I can run a second Cone inkset.  I'd love to hear of a source for those chips.  Sure wish I had saved all those old 3800/3880 OEM carts I tossed in the trash over the years!  I have a not-yet-opened set of Epson ink carts that I may end up cannibalizing, as I don't see myself returning to OEM K3.  But, man, it hurts to think of tossing $500 worth of ink!

For clarification, I did not use jtoolman's method as he just worked it out recently, and the new resetter tool was not available back then either when I went to K7 in the second printer.  I bought a new set of refillable carts and did it much as Cone suggested.  Prime the new printer with OEM K3 ink to see if it works, then swap out and use the refillables with the K7 ink and the OEM chips that go under his chip (Which I got some from the college IT person's discards.).

However, it wasted a lot of K7 ink before my profiles began to smooth out and become usable.  Nothing was anywhere near linear using the i1 Photo Pro 2 and QTR for a long time.  I went through a lot of GO too (Residual black ink staining since it uses that cart position.) and had to buy a bigger bottle of it on the second order.  I went through two purchases of K7 110ml bottles in just one month which seems absurd, but they like to sell ink too.  The first set was just to get rid of some yellow and magenta staining, and some black tint for the clear GO ink too, left in the lines and printer head.  Very white papers always had some residual color cast for quite some time even getting into the second batch.  Do a MK/PK ink switch and some color staining may result too from the valve.  These were new refillables, and not OEM flushed out ones, fwiw.

Of course you could also buy a second set of refillable carts and run their flush fluid through the printer to get rid of the K3 color set, but that runs up the bill as much as a second set of K7 used to flush the lines too.  Plus, you still have to prime and flush out that fluid too with the K7 ink refills later.

As mentioned, on a new printer I would prime and run with the K7 if at all possible rather than use it as a big dollar flushing fluid later after the first run using the OEM color ink.  Of course their method wants you to do otherwise in case of a bad printer which is probably a low percentage gamble if new and not a refurb, but they sell $$$ ink and flush fluid and extra carts for it too.  There is a lot of ink in those lines and dampner assembly that I discovered when I tore into mine for a busted carriage repair.  Personally, I'd run with the k7 and if the printer is bad, put in the OEM ink and let Epson handle it.  They most likely will not tell you to return it with ink loaded anyway, and chances are low that it will be bad too.  Beats shelling out $1000 for two K7 ink loads and all the paper waste to get it normalized and linear.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up