Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G7x or Sony RX100 III?  (Read 4317 times)

kengai

Canon G7x or Sony RX100 III?
« on: January 23, 2015, 08:02:31 am »

always looking for a quality compact , which one to choose between the new Canon G7x and Sony RX100 III ?

Simon J.A. Simpson

Re: Canon G7x or Sony RX100 III?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:01:48 am »

I can’t comment on the G7x but I recently bought the RX100 III and am very pleased with it.  I like the smaller size (than the G7), the EVF is really good and it produces very nice quality pictures.

There's quite a steep learning curve if you want to exercise some control over what the camera does, but its range of facilities is quite staggering – as good as my 5D III.  Doesn’t make tea though (disappointingly) but does most of everything else.  And it is beautifully made !  A quality compact ?  Yes.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:56:01 am »

I have the RX-100 M3, too.  My main complaints revolve around the incredible complexity of the camera and its tiny size. Yes, it fits in many pockets, but there are drawbacks.  My other camera is a D800, my sixth DSLR.

Tiny buttons are easy to accidentally push when you don't want to and difficult to push when you do. The four-way controller is very prone to inadvertent and imprecise use. I find that I need to shoot it regularly in order to keep my skills up to date.  The camera will sometimes start doing things I swear I didn't ask it to and an RFTM session is required to restore order.

The camera makes excellent still pictures, the lens is excellent and the look-through viewfinder is exceptional. Recently, I was able to shoot on a sunny day in a snow-covered landscape while wearing polarizing sunglasses. Quite a feat for an LCD viewfinder.

Most disappointing for me is the camera's hand-held video performance. The video imagery itself is fine, but it's often too shaky. I've used many cameras with Sony's Steadyshot function in the past and always been amazed at how well it works, but it seems that the hand-induced shaking that results from the RX100's tiny size and low mass exceeds Steadyshot's capabilities.  You can invoke additional levels of IS, but at the expense of reduced angle of view.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:03:35 pm »

I have the RX-100 M3, too.  My main complaints revolve around the incredible complexity of the camera and its tiny size. Yes, it fits in many pockets, but there are drawbacks.  My other camera is a D800, my sixth DSLR.

Tiny buttons are easy to accidentally push when you don't want to and difficult to push when you do. The four-way controller is very prone to inadvertent and imprecise use. I find that I need to shoot it regularly in order to keep my skills up to date.  The camera will sometimes start doing things I swear I didn't ask it to and an RFTM session is required to restore order.

The camera makes excellent still pictures, the lens is excellent and the look-through viewfinder is exceptional. Recently, I was able to shoot on a sunny day in a snow-covered landscape while wearing polarizing sunglasses. Quite a feat for an LCD viewfinder.

Most disappointing for me is the camera's hand-held video performance. The video imagery itself is fine, but it's often too shaky. I've used many cameras with Sony's Steadyshot function in the past and always been amazed at how well it works, but it seems that the hand-induced shaking that results from the RX100's tiny size and low mass exceeds Steadyshot's capabilities.  You can invoke additional levels of IS, but at the expense of reduced angle of view.

That's also the case with the RX100 (first version), the steadyshot is not effective at all, especially for still images!

Thierry

Peter_DL

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:48:11 pm »

I had the previous RX100 II but recently changed to the G7X,
since I found too much Color Fringing / chromatic aberration with the RX100 II,
which is basically confirmed by the bad DxO score for CA with the RX100 II lens.

I have yet to check the G7X more thoroughly - if it is better in this regard,
my first impression is a somewhat reluctant Yes,

however, the lens design is certainly an issue in general with these Ultra-compacts comprising a relatively large-sensor.  A lot (maybe too much) is delegated and left to software corrections.

I think Canon should have stayed with the usual PowerShot G size, like with the G16, while featuring a somewhat larger (better) lens in front of a 1”-sensor than with the G7X, - and instead of competing with Sony in miniaturization. Just my 2 ct.

Peter

--
Pages: [1]   Go Up