Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U2413 LUT calibration  (Read 1549 times)

Lundberg02

U2413 LUT calibration
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:48:10 am »

I acquired a Dell U2413 wide gamut monitor brand new in box direct from Dell about six months ago for practically nothing due to a combination of circumstances that could never be repeated. It was so cheap that I thought, hey, I could get an i1 Display Pro and do this right. The factory aRGB looked very good, but I went ahead and found a deal on the i1 too, so I got it. I had a terrible time finding the Dell software for Mac on their site, but I finally got version 1.5.6 by contacting XRite (Bruce Wright, don't bother contacting anyone else). This software allows correcting the monitor's 14 bit LUT for the best possible color. You don't need to do the XRite calibration. I should mention here that contacting Dell tech support is useless. I have yet to find anyone there who even knows that Dell makes monitors.
So, I register my i1 which requires having it connected so that the XRIte software can see it. Then I open the readme for the Dell software and find the most idiotic warning I have ever seen in a readme.  It says some Mac video cards will cause your computer to crash and the only way to recover is to use another monitor to reboot and then reconnect the Dell U2413. "Some Mac video cards"? What the f--- does that mean? What if you don't have another f------ monitor? I knew it was useless to contact Dell (see above) so I asked Bruce. He didn't know but passed the query to XRite's Dell liaison man. It's been a month but I have had no clarification.
Does anyone here know which Macs?
 Technical note: the U2413 is a great value for money and can be found for around 425 any day, but the wide gamut is offset by the 8bit+FRC channel bit depth. If you put a thousand interpolated values into a 16 thousand value LUT, I'm not sure you get a whole lot of accuracy, but better than nothing I suppose.

Lundberg02

Re: U2413 LUT calibration
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »

No one?

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:36:37 pm »

I don't have that monitor or a Mac, but the best source of information about calibration for the U2413 that I've seen in other threads is http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm.  That mentions Mac support. 

Lundberg02

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:07:13 am »

Yes, I have everything there is about the U2413 I think. Only in the Dell software readme is there any mention of a Mac incompatibility and of course  they don't tell you which Macs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up