Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Estate Photography Contract  (Read 7003 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Real Estate Photography Contract
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:23:58 am »

I have been considering doing real estate photography work post retirement for quite some time. I am retiring in about six weeks and my plans were accelerated last night when I spoke with a realtor that needs a photographer ASAP. The home in question has a $5.5M asking price and is in a very tony neighborhood - not a bad project to put into my fledgling portfolio.

The realtor and I agreed on a price and I will be calling her next week to confirm the day, review what she needs and check that the weather will not be a snowstorm. I need to put our agreement in writing.

Is there a basic contract available that is used for real estate photography? If so, where can it be obtained or purchased?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Re: Real Estate Photography Contract
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »

I have been considering doing real estate photography work post retirement for quite some time. I am retiring in about six weeks and my plans were accelerated last night when I spoke with a realtor that needs a photographer ASAP. The home in question has a $5.5M asking price and is in a very tony neighborhood - not a bad project to put into my fledgling portfolio.

The realtor and I agreed on a price and I will be calling her next week to confirm the day, review what she needs and check that the weather will not be a snowstorm. I need to put our agreement in writing.

Is there a basic contract available that is used for real estate photography? If so, where can it be obtained or purchased?

Firstly, best of luck with the venture and your post retirement endeavours :)

FWIW including a lot of absorbed information on other fora in regard to business can I suggest the following based purely on you are entering unknown territory both literally & metaphorically:-

1) Rather than ask on a public forum for a basic contract perhaps it is time to consult a lawyer to draw up such a contract (sorry if I missed whereabouts you are in the world but there are litigious folk out there) as you need it to be water tight!???

2) Are you insured for both Public Liability and Third Party Damage..................and whatever other aspects might be relevant to Real Estate photography?

3) As part of the contract IMO you should be covering either generally or an addenda for each job you do what the agreed deliverables are e.g. whether digital files and/or prints, how many such images etc, does the Realtor pay you a secondary fee if on the day of the shoot the weather means you will need to return another day......if a 2 hour drive each way that is costly to you!

4) As for your portfolio make sure of two things ~ depending on the legal jurisdiction whether you will be the copyright holder or will the Realtor because of the method of the commissioning (it is my understanding that there are circumstances where the standard "I pressed the button therefore I am the Copyright Holder" may not apply)?   Secondly, whether you are the copyright holder or not make sure that your usage of the images and which ones (per job) in your portfolio is agreed as part of the contract as I can surmise there will be some homeowners (or the Realtors hiring you?) who would object to certain images being used to promote your services???

I have no doubt others will chime in with other more detailed  thoughts & feedback.

As I said best of luck and do post back with your update :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »

You would lose your rights to photographs under a work for hire contract, but work for hire must be specifically spelled out in the contract. That said there are a number of photographs I've shot that I am unable to use for any other purpose including self promotion because they are covered by a non-disclosure agreement or by the ITAR treaty.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:52:41 pm by Colorado David »

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:11:20 am »

I have a downloadable client packet that contains a contract on my website, http://re.myrsphoto.com/services/client-resources/ Feel free to use it or modify it as needed. I adapted it from one found in e-books available here: http://photographyforrealestate.net/. I forget which book it was but they are all very useful and worth the investment. The Photography for Real Estate site is an excellent resource.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »

Thank you for the information. I am aware of the Photography for Real Estate site - it is a good resource and I have purchased some of the documentation provided.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »

Nice web site, Richard, and I do like your contract. You will be an inspiration for me to get my services up to your level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up