Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting entire studio with Solux  (Read 1972 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Lighting entire studio with Solux
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:03:11 am »

Moving, and going to set up shop in the basement.  I'm gutting the basement and re-finishing it.  It's going to be 27' x 15', so 405sqft.

At first I was worried and unsure I could do this because of the lack of sunlight.  After looking at Solux bulbs, they aren't AS expensive as I thought they were.  Looking at their 12v DC MR-16 bulbs.

Question 1 - Am I right that using these Solux bulbs, I not only will be well off for a good color viewing environment, but I may be better off not having sunlight?  (With consistent lighting throughout the entire day.)

Question 2 - With their bulbs running $16-17 (with black backs), I'm really considering lighting the entire 405sqft area with Solux, targeting an ambient lighting of 32-64 lux.  Then, having a more concentrated wall capable of 500 lux on a separate switch.  Their 35watt bulb with 36degree spread says the beam diameter at 6ft is 3.9ft at 207.1lux.  And the 50watt is 329.9lux.  But, this gives me no idea of what I'm looking at to target 405sqft at 32-64 lux.  Anyone have a rough idea of the number of bulbs I need?  Anyone done this?

Question 3 - Do I want to have the bulbs equally spaced, facing down?  Or, am I better off to bounce them off the ceiling to provide a more consistent lighting level?  I have to assume bouncing off the ceiling is going to substantially affect the color temperature, so is not something I'm thinking is that practical.

Question 4 - I think I like the plano convex diffusers they sell.  Turns the 36degree beam into a 72degree beam.  And, of course softens the lighting.  Hoping this might get away from bouncing the lighting off the ceiling.  I think this will turn the beam diameter into 7.8ft, and certainly lower the lux levels.  Anyone use these or know how it affects how I should space the bulbs?  I don't think it affects the number of bulbs, as the total light should remain the same.  I'm even thinking it doesn't affect spacing - and would just create less variance around the room in intensity.

Question 5 - With black back bulbs, does it matter if I use their fixtures, or will any generic fixture do?
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Lighting entire studio with Solux
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:40:54 am »

SoLux heats like hell - be careful not to do a sauna in your studio. The light is sharp, directional, so it won't be easy to get uniform lightning in a large room. I'd use SoLux for color critical print evaluation only. Consider normal graphic CCFL bulbs or metal halide lamps to get daylight-like room lighting.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:29:12 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

howardm

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:16:40 am »

Marcin,

Are you referring to CCFLs like those from Just Normlicht or GTI or even KinoFlo that are designed for viewing stations or something else?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:24:11 am »

I'm referring to more affordable solutions, like OSRAM Lumilux Color proof T8, or Philips Master TL-D 90 Graphica.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:11:30 pm »

Question 1 - Am I right that using these Solux bulbs, I not only will be well off for a good color viewing environment, but I may be better off not having sunlight?  (With consistent lighting throughout the entire day.)
Probably better off with consistent lighting.
Question 2 - With their bulbs running $16-17 (with black backs), I'm really considering lighting the entire 405sqft area with Solux, targeting an ambient lighting of 32-64 lux.

As mentioned, they get hot so probably better to illuminate a smaller area where you wish to evaluate a print.
Question 3 - Do I want to have the bulbs equally spaced, facing down?  Or, am I better off to bounce them off the ceiling to provide a more consistent lighting level?

Never used them to bounce, what they bounce off plays a role too.
Question 5 - With black back bulbs, does it matter if I use their fixtures, or will any generic fixture do?
If the bulb will fit (MR16 or PAR's if they still sell them) you should be fine. I've used them mostly in non Solux  fixtures without issue.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:00:28 pm »

Prepare yourself for the heartbreak of comparing how your prints look in installations, versus how they look on your bright wall!

500 lux is pretty bright for most gallery walls, unless there are a lot of skylights in the room or for locations near a large window.

64 lux is dark for a workspace, IMHO.  It's close to average household lighting in the parts of living rooms that receive direct light.  Household walls can be much darker, below 32 lux.  That sometimes makes art buyers unhappy.

FWIW I set up an area in my house with Philips F32T8/TL950 tubes with a claimed CRI of 98.  The light in that room is very strange, positively unnerving in a way.  It's useless for print evaluation.  Why?  I don't know.  But real sunlight looks much better, direct or as north light.  Check out some sample bulbs of whatever you decide on before buying a bunch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up