Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gloves?  (Read 1910 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Gloves?
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:52:50 pm »

After freezing my fingers in minus 15 degrees last week, I'm looking for a solution to shooting in sub-zero temps. Thinking mittens with thin gloves inside, and only taking off the mittens for a few seconds when adjustments have to be made.
Any suggestions on gloves that give some protection but allow fine camera adjustments? I have a pair of black diamond gloves that are thin leather, but even the extra large is a tight fit, and I want something a bit warmer.

NancyP

Re: Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:14:41 pm »

Search the gear/equipment forum for a recent long thread on this topic.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:27:05 pm »

Not sure which thread Nancy's referring to...

I find that an advantage of a DSLR is that the big buttons are mashable with thick gloves. You might like to practice inside with warm fingers.

You can get more mileage with a very thin polypro liner, and big warm mitt on your less-active left hand. Consider using more of the camera's auto features and concentrate on composition.

I find point and shoots and mirrorless cameras with smaller buttons more difficult in winter.

Paul Gessler

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:10 pm »

Here's what I said in the other thread -
I work in cold weather quite a lot.  Furthermore, I might spend a long time outside in not-as-cold weather but with winds.  Long exposure to winds can be as chilling as shorter exposure to more bitterly cold temperatures.  I use merino wool gloves.  They are fairly thin and a very fine weave for dexterity.  I buy them at a backpacking/mountaineering store.  They are not cheep.  I buy a few pair at a time for around $30 U.S. per pair.  I am a big fan of merino wool and have several suits of long underwear in different weights that I can layer up.  I also use the iron particle hand warmers such as Hot Hands.  They last about 8 hours of continual use, but can be put in a ziploc bag and squeeze all the air out and you can reuse them later.  They are pretty cheep for the warmth you get from them.  I try to keep my hands protected from the wind when I can.  I'll usually put a Hot Hands pack in the palm of each hand inside my wool gloves.

Use convertible mittens over them.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:18 am »

I haven't found anything that I can wear that I can operate a camera with that will keep my fingers warm indefinitely in very cold weather. My solution is to wear thin merino wool (Smartwool) glove liners under a very warm pair of gloves (Black Diamond Guide) or mittens (Outdoor Research Altis) with handwarmers (the kind you buy in bulk at Costco) inside.  I can set things up with the heavier gloves on, then easily operate the camera for a minute with just the liners. Sticking them back into the mittens containing the hand warmers will quickly revive them. If I'm using the gloves I'll put my hands back into just the palm portion and wrap my fingers around the hand warmer for a minute before putting my fingers all the way into the glove.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:10:40 am by pcgpcg »

DwayneOakes

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:27:48 am »

Mitts are always the way to go in the woods stay away from
finger gloves. The trade off to mitts is dexterity of course.
I have been using Kombi mitts this year and they are very
warm with thick insulation. But I have to take them off for a
couple of seconds to do any deep menu camera changes.
Great value gloves, got mine at ctc for $26. Above 0 c temps
I just use fleece mitts which work great.

http://www.kombicanada.com/shop/men/gloves-and-mitts
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:29:30 am by DwayneOakes »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:57 am »

More than 10 years ago I bought a pair of Lowepro gloves to use on a trip to Moscow with -25 C. They are thin, wool fabric, with small rubber like "gripping buttons" on the palm side. They are warm and work fine for me, but in Portugal I do not have many chances of using them.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up