Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3DII-31 not turning on.  (Read 3058 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
H3DII-31 not turning on.
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:13:00 am »

Hi,
My H3D2-31 stopped working in the middle of a tethered shoot. The back seems to be OK but nothing at all appearing on the screen of the camera body. Tried several batteries. Any suggestions before it goes to service, please?
Bob
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Gel

Re: H3DII-31 not turning on.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:21:21 am »

Once I had a spring fail in the back of the power pin which makes the connection between the back and body. (On the H3D11 39)

It would switch on, tilt the body and it would fail.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:46 pm »

Thanks guys. A bit of a change. I cleaned all contacts with alcohol. There are 4 contacts on the corners of the back that look like carbon. Cleaning them does not seem to change them.

The camera will now only not turn on with the HVD90X viewfinder attached. It will turn on without it or with WLF attached. However I get a message "Internal Error # 1121" in either case. Press Ok and and it clears.

There is no activity on the back. I press the battery indicator button and it shows Firmware version 222 and Battery 65% and also Exposures 1, like it is a new camera. If I press the shutter nothing happens but the count goes up.

Not looking good.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:53 pm »

The firmware version was 231 before so it looks like the body has gone back to it's childhood. There are no usage counts shown in the body menus. The count on pressing the battery button was just the shots on that battery. Doh!

I tried updating the firmware using Phocus. I could talk to the back OK and even updated it's firmware even though it was up to date, but couldn't update the body. It just says body not connected.

Now resolved to sending the camera in.

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:49:47 am »

I commiserate with you. My H3DII50 was a Friday one that gave me endless grief. One minor issue was that it never worked with the GPS. Symptoms varied but included yours.  I sent it back repeatedly to the Hassy service people at Richmond who never succeeded in fixing it.  They insisted it was a firmware problem with power management.  It was not. In the end - after the warranty period was over - Richmond sent it back to the factory. They swapped the innards.  But refused to accept that it was a warranty repair, even though I had been complaining about the fault(s) during the warranty period. I eventually negotiated a discount on the repair, but like all camera manufacturers they seem to have a minimum charge for factory repairs (I have encountered this with Nikon, too). The Hasselblad minimum charge seems to be about £2000, which I reluctantly paid.  The camera works OK now, although it does not like having the GPS plugged in, which is annoying because I use it exclusively in the field: at sea or in the mountains where accurate location is essential.  The H3DII-50 produces great pictures, but the company sold me a bad one.  I suggest you send the camera back to the factory and accept their charge for fixing it. Good luck.  Zerui

pixjohn

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 07:20:07 pm »

I feel your pain.

I had the same problem with my Leaf Aptus back, it had  reoccurring problems.  I sent it in and complained when I had the warranty and still had the same problem over and over. I even had the back servesed by Leaf directly when I was in Israel and it devolved more problems then I started with. I still complained and sent it in a few more times,  my dealer was a joke and left me hanging (I am happy they went bankrupt) I was then told by Leaf America I had to pay for the repair because it was out of  warranty even though I sent it in under warranty.

shaun

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 05:41:55 am »

Can't help with your specific problem though when I contact hasseblad they would give an idea of cause from experience and approximate price based on that. Here is a link to their pricing. My last repair was around €250.

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/service--support/price-guide-for-h-series.aspx

Shaun

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 07:44:12 am »

I suggest you send the camera back to the factory and accept their charge for fixing it. Good luck.  Zerui

+1

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »

Thanks again. Now in the Hasselblad hospital. I'll let you know what happens.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:56:02 pm »

So the quote just came back. $4190
Apparently the back contacts are not making contact with the body. The body is basically OK, the problem is the back, even though the back works on a view camera. To replace the back frame not electronics is 2000 Euro for the part.
I have asked for a copy of the quote.
Any suggestions?

I am thinking I would be better off to try and source another back or put my money into a H4D than repair a H3D. Maybe if I can find another get and get it coded.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:13 am »

Best regards,

Sorry to hear, that is a lot of money.

Best regards
Erik

Apparently the back contacts are not making contact with the body. The body is basically OK, the problem is the back, even though the back works on a view camera. To replace the back frame not electronics is 2000 Euro for the part.
Any suggestions?

I am thinking I would be better off to try and source another back or put my money into a H4D than repair a H3D. Maybe if I can find another get and get it coded.
Erik Kaffehr

Gel

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:08 am »

I'd buy another Hasselblad tbh or find some way to trade it in.

Roughly how many actuations does it have?

Edit, if it's still fine of a view camera you'll probably be better to sell it as is with full disclosure and purchase another blad. They aren't going to be expensive relative to the repair.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:48:29 pm »

Any suggestions?

Wow, really? $4,190? No way you move forward on that repair. Not when H3D-II 31 CPO units have been sold for close to the same price with warranty. I agree with Chris, maybe sell as-is with full disclosure, although a 31MP sensor as a dedicated view camera back end can be pretty limiting.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Gel

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »

As an aside to this, I don't understand how, when the body pins are spring loaded, that something fixed solid on the back can't make contact.
Pages: [1]   Go Up